Thursday, March 15, 2007

Howdy Everybody!


I apologize for how lacking in the posting I have been lately. I have just been really busy, and very stressed. This semester has been, by far, one of the most stressful periods of my life, but I am still alive! The problem with everything going on in my life is that I have been a bit lacking in the reading. I just seem unable to concentrate on one book, so I have a bunch on the go and look at whatever I am in the mood for. This means that I am not really finishing books, but the month is not over, so I am going to concentrate on cleaning out the books that I have started and not finished.

So, what am I reading? I am about 500 pages into J.V. Jone's A Cavern of Black Ice. I REALLY like this book, but it is like 900 pages, and has just been intimidating lately. I hope to rectify the situation and actually read some of it this weekend. It's a fantasy trilogy, that I have heard rumours migh turn into a quartet. This is book one. It has been on my list forever, but nothing against the author because she writes really well, but it takes her a very long time to release books. Book 2 has been out since something like the year 2000 and book 3 is only coming out this year. So, I have been waiting to read it. If I finish it, it will be my chunkster read for the month because even thought I bought it this year, I have been excited about it for several years. So far I strongly recommend it, and for those that wonder, J.V. Jone's is a female author. I do not MEAN to read so many women, it just happens....

I also admit I got distracted by an advanced reading copy of a book I got in the mail yesterday. It is called Nefertiti by Michelle Moran. I have to admit I am a bit infatuated with it right now. Nefertiti is a Queen of Egypt. Egypt has always been one of my favourite areas of historical study, but I am REALLY picky about the novels I read set in this time frame. It is a bit premature, I am only a hundred pages into it, but if nothing changes consider this me telling everyone to BUY THIS BOOK! It will be out on July 10th from Crown Publishing. I hope nothing drastic happens because so far, I really am enjoying the reading experience. It tells the story of both Nefertiti and her sister, Mutnodjmet.

Also circulating through my hands are A Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion, Helpless by Barbara Gowdy (which I was very lucky to get from Harper Collins because originally, I was going to agonizingly wait for the paperback. This is just a plug for Barbara Gowdy, read her, great Canadian author. The Romantic is my favourite, but I also have read and enjoyed Mister Sandman and The White Bone (a novel about an elephant)), and Kushiel's Dart by Jacqueline Carey. There are also some other books that I started at the beginning of the month and have not got very far with. I will rectify that after I finish some of these.

I can never read fast enough, you know? The other big news of the day? TWISTED KINGDOM relaunch! Yay! If you click here, you can read an announcement from fellow TKer Nath. We have a lot of great stuff planned, so be sure and bookmark or add us to your links. People can always use some more fantasy novels, right? Or is that just me...

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:08 PM

    Hope you get some downtime soon so you can do fun reading :) I loved The Romantic! I must read more by Barbara Gowdy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm....I'm reading a book NOW called Nefertiti, the Book of the Dead by Nick Drake. It's an ARC from Harper Collins an dit's a mystery. I JUST stared it, so I'll have to let you know what I think!

    Maybe it's me, but I can't seem to get into Twisted Kingdom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A Nefertiti book has come up on my recommended list from Amazon (I think it is the one you are reading). I really haven't read much from that time period so I'll be interested to see how you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. iliana - I recommend Mister Sandman by Gowdy. The White Bone is good, in my opinion, but since it is told from the perspective of an elephant, I know a lot of people that could not get in the right mindset.

    Stephanie - I would be interested to hear how you like that book!

    Daphne - I am almost done, and so far I really like it! I find it hard to find good Egyptian historical fiction, so this one was a great find!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, don't be too stressed out! And just take your time when reading your books. There's no need to rush.

    I've been busy, too taking care of my nephew and all and I've hardly the time to sit down and read. But, I try to read at least a chapter or two before I go to sleep. It's not enough but I'm trying. =D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

I am so sorry, but I turned anonymous commenting off. I have had it from the very beginning, but that is how the spam is getting by my spam filter at the moment. If it is a big deal I will turn it back on and moderate all comments. I also changed moderation from older than 14 days to older than 7.