Friday, January 02, 2009

Fairy Tail - Volume 2 by Hiro Mashima

Books Completed: 2
Date Completed: January 2, 2009
Pages: 208
Publication Date: March 25, 2008 (in English)

Reason for Reading: Rhinoa's Manga Challenge


THE BOOK OF SECRETS

Beautiful celestial wizard Lucy has teamed up with the crazy fire wizard Natsu and his bizarre flying cat, Happy. Their job: to steal a book from the notorious Duke Everlue. But the eccentric Everlue has killed wizards before, and Lucy’s team is walking right into his death trap!
I read most of this yesterday, but I had to read the last couple chapters today. I am not really sure if my online reading is exactly lining up with the collected volumes, but it is close. I have my car shoveled out now, so I can resume the books I have on the go! I probably will read the rest of this series, though. In the first book, the story was being set up, but there was not a lot of action. Now that we have met the three main characters: Lucy, Natsu, and Happy the Cat; action can occur. The three have decided to create a group together and work on assignments. In this second volume, they tackle the first one.

What do we learn in this volume? That Lucy is pretty smart. I am not sure if I am a big fan of her wardrobe, but maybe the male sex appreciates it more than I. It really seems like she is going to be the brains of the operation. Natsu is just weird. When provoked he is a really good fighter, and he is a bit underappreciated, but I was never sure quite what to make of him. I do like that he is a hero without being perfect, though. Happy, the cat, is the comic relief in many cases. I really like fantasy with an animal as a main character, so I look forward to seeing more of Happy in the future!

Overall, not a terrible second volume. I look forward to seeing what happens next!

4 comments:

  1. I love fantasy with animal protagonists too. You're making me very curious about this series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's an okay series. The other reason I am not getting roped into it as quickly as The Dark Crystal is because I have a history with the movie, this one this is my first taste of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:06 PM

    Sounds like you plan to read more in the series which is positive. I think with Manga you need to read at least 3 to really start getting into a series as they are so short. I hope you read lots more than 6 manga in 2009 :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I probably will read the whole series by the end of the year. There are lots more online that I am planning to try and get to and then hopefully later in the year I can buy some! I agree that you need to read the first few before making a decision, but that doesn't always work so well financially...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

I am so sorry, but I turned anonymous commenting off. I have had it from the very beginning, but that is how the spam is getting by my spam filter at the moment. If it is a big deal I will turn it back on and moderate all comments. I also changed moderation from older than 14 days to older than 7.