Saturday, October 10, 2009

Six Sentence Saturday - Take Five

Welcome to Six Sentence Saturday.
Where I try to express my thoughts on recent reads using only 6 sentences!!!!.
At the end of each review I will post a
rating scale of 1-5 using the cute and original (lol) Playing Cards.
Rating scale will be as follows:
5 of Hearts- You must read this book NOW!!
4 of Hearts- A great read, put it on your TBR list.
3 of Hearts- Glad I read but no big deal
2 of Hearts- Why did I finish this?
Joker Card - Don't bother (why did I?)

Glass by Ellen Hopkins (Crank Trilogy, Book 2)
I don't read a lot of books written in verse because poetry has never been a favourite of mine, but Ellen Hopkins does it so well I can't help but read it and love it. This is the sequel to Crank, which I read and reviewed earlier this year. In comparision to Crank, this book wasn't quite as good, but it still was a very eye-opening, scary look at just what it is like to be addicted to a drug that Kristina calls the monster. The big change between this book and the last one is that Kristina has a dependant that she is supposed to be responsible for, and she does try, but she can only resist so long. The third book is out next year, so I am looking forward to seeing what happens on her journey next. It has not been easy so far and I am sure things will continue to get worse before they get better!

Clubbing by Andi Watson
This book was just a bit weird. It was like the author took every popular trend she could think of, mixed it all together, and wrote a book with some pictures. It's not that I hated the book, don't get me wrong, but I didn't really love it. In the grand scheme of things I have read better graphic novels this year, so this one is not really all that memorable. It was okay, that's really all there is to say about it. I wouldn't rush out to read it, but if you get a chance to read it, don't necessarily pass it up.
Olivia Kidney by Ellen Potter
The best way to describe this is as cute! I have seen Ellen Potter around the blogosphere a bit lately and I decided that I wanted to read her, but the library didn't have her most recent book. This is the first book in middle-grade series and it is a nice mix of just about everything. Olivia was a fun character who has a lot of potential for future books, but whether or not I continue with the series is undecided at the moment. It was a bit young at times and I have so many series on the go at the moment, so it might just be something to enjoy for a moment and never touch again. Still, an enjoyable read!

Tom's Midnight Garden by Phippa Pearce
I only even heard about this book from Nymeth, so thanks to the wonderful world of bloggers I discovered a book I probably never would have read otherwise! It's an older book, and I did find it a bit dated at times, but generally it was a good read. It's a magical book where Tom finds a garden that only he can see and spends every night visiting. He has many wonderful adventures there while his brother is recovering from the measles back home. When the time comes that he has to go home, he doesn't really want to, but he has memories that will last him a long time. Things are not always as they seem, of course, so you will have to read it to see what you think!


Larklight: A Rousing Tale of Dauntless Pluck in the Farthest Reaches of Space by Philip Reeve
Okay, I actually really liked this book. It was a really fun read, more than anything, and I think I will probably read the rest of the books in the series if I can talk the library into buying them. It's about the juvenile fiction age and it includes pictures. I actually think this series would make a really good audio listen if that is available. Anyways, a bit of fantasy and science-fiction tied together, so keep it in mind for Carl's challenges next year. I also think it would be a good read for the read-a-thon because it looks long, but with the large text and pictures it moves along pretty quickly!

9 comments:

  1. Hm, Clubbing is one that's been on m y TBR pile for awhile. I wanted to read it for readathon, but sadly, my library doesn't have it. I read the first part in the back of a different Minx GN that I had, and I liked it so far, but maybe it falls apart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dint think I could review a book in 6 sentences or less. Nice!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another excellent Six Sentence from you!! Funny, we both highlighted Ellen Hopkins books!! I'm seriously going to have to check out Larklight!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Six sentences doesn't seem like enough to write about a book but you do a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amanda: It could just be me, so I wound't worry about it. The fact that I read it months ago and hardly remember it doesn't help either!

    Bluestocking: Well, if I write full reviews of books nothing will get done this year!

    Staci: Thanks! I haven't read your blog yet, but I am curious to see what Ellen Hopkins you talked about.

    Booklogged: Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I've got Tom's Midnight Garden in my TBR.

    Great job with this post! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've got Tom's Midnight Garden on my tbr pile too. And I also liked Larklight, must get to the rest in the series! I also love Reeve's Mortal Engines series... for older teens and grandmas like me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I listened to the next book of the Larklight series, and the audio version was excellent. I did have to take a look at the print version just so I wouldn't miss out on those wonderful illustrations, though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Alice: Thanks! Hope you enjoy Tom's Midnight Garden!

    Cath: I must get to the rest of the series for Larklight, too! I will have to look up the other series...

    Darla: Yeah, you would be missing out without the illustrations! Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

I am so sorry, but I turned anonymous commenting off. I have had it from the very beginning, but that is how the spam is getting by my spam filter at the moment. If it is a big deal I will turn it back on and moderate all comments. I also changed moderation from older than 14 days to older than 7.