Wednesday, November 23, 2011

What Are You Listening to Wednesday - Week 2

This is a meme that is hosted by Dolce Bellezza. I have been seeing it around for a while and I am still not reading, so let's talk music!

I missed this last week because I got distracted with other things. This week I am thinking about the holiday season. I have been assigning dates for Virtual Advent, so that has made me start thinking about the posts that are waiting for us to enjoy. One aspect of the holidays that I have always enjoyed is the music. There are songs that I can listen to over and over again over the holiday season. So, I thought it would be fun to share a couple of those songs and ask those that are reading this what some of their favourite Christmas songs are. Please feel free to share in the comments.

When I was a child my mother claims my favourite Christmas song was 'The Twelve Days of Christmas'. I would demand to hear that song during the holiday season before I went to bed. It was a particular version, too... The Muppets. I still have a copy of that song and it still makes me smile all these years later. It is not the version with John Denver. I am not exactly sure where it comes from, but it is fun to listen to. I am actually thinking about the Muppets because the new movie is out today or tomorrow. I am thinking I might drag the cc to see it. I am so happy they are making a new movie for this generation. I introduced the cc's son to The Muppets only this year!

Other songs I really enjoy:




What are some of your favourite songs from the holiday season?

6 comments:

  1. The only Christmas song that needs to be on is Slade - Merry Xmas Everybody. It's not Christmas until that is played.

    A more 'classic' Christmas tune that I need is Let it Snow.

    And a less jolly Christmas song is Corey Taylor - X-M@$

    Those three make the holiday for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Loreena McKennit's holiday album (or maybe albums? I have them on my iPod, so I sort of lose track of where one album ends and the next begins). She has so many gorgeous traditional songs on there. My favourite is "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen." It's so wonderfully creepy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband is the Irish piper on two Loreena McKennit albums--the Mask and the Mirror, and another I can't remember (bad wife)...they knew each other back in the day before she bacame famous.

    Here's our family's favorite Christmas song--an early incarntion of the 12 Days! It starts off slowish, but picks up nicely--

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTRSBbrioSo

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband just came home--the other one he remembers is The Visit, but he thinks he was on a couple of others.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love Breathe of Heaven by Amy Grant. Still mad at her for leaving her husband to marry Vince Gill (what kind of Christian example is that?), but I'll give her credit for singing beautifully. (Of course, how Christian is my judgment? XO)

    ReplyDelete
  6. **Jamie: I am not familiar with that song. I will have to check it out.

    Yes, well, after the amount of snow we received last week I wasn't really wishing for any more at that moment!

    I haven't heard of the Corey Taylor song, either. I will have to check it out, too.

    **Memory: I will have to look them up. I have heard of her of course and probably heard music by her, but I don't know off hand.

    **Charlotte: That's really cool! Both the fact that he knew McKennit and the fact that he is an Irish piper. :)

    I look forward to looking into that song you mentioned.

    **Bellezza: I didn't even know about the scandal surrounding her, but in the back of my mind I knew there was something I heard about at one time. I guess that was it! Somehow I did know she was married to Vince Gill, though.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

I am so sorry, but I turned anonymous commenting off. I have had it from the very beginning, but that is how the spam is getting by my spam filter at the moment. If it is a big deal I will turn it back on and moderate all comments. I also changed moderation from older than 14 days to older than 7.