Friday, February 10, 2006

Tuesdays with Morrie - Mitch Albom (January/06)


This had been in my plans to read for a while, as I read The Five People You Meet in Heaven over the summer. I did not rush out and buy it, though, because I did not seem to get what I was meant to get out of the first novel I read by him, so I decided to wait for inspiration to strike. Inspiration did not strike until it came out in paperback and was at Wal-Mart for 25 percent off. So, I picked it up then and stuck in it the bag I take with me to work. I had no idea when I was going to read it, it was just there for an emergency. And, emergency struck when I was at my boyfriends one day and luckily I had this book with me.

It is quite a touching tale about a man that is dying and meets with his favourite student every Tuesday until he dies. They talk about all the important things in life, as Morrie seems to be a fountain of information. He had lived a while and gone through many of his own life experiences, so it was a very frank conversation from a man at the end of his life. He did not seem particularly caught up in the particulars of the end, he was more interested in making the most of the life he had left. He taught school his whole life, and he still attempted to until he was unable to no more. It did not matter if he could walk or move like a regular man because the words that he touched many with were worth the highest price.

He had a way with the people that he met, they never forgot him even if they were only around him for a short time. He lived his life with dignity and that is how the people around him treated him back. It was a great loss to many when he died, and all he was in the grand scheme of things was a professor. He was just much more to the people that came across him, and his words will live on in Albom's book.

The best thing I can say to you is if you want to gain a new perspective on life, read this book. If it does not touch you, it is the wrong time, and you should not give up but try again in the future. This book is one of those books that with its quaint words will move mountains and help people when they need it most.

4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

I am so sorry, but I turned anonymous commenting off. I have had it from the very beginning, but that is how the spam is getting by my spam filter at the moment. If it is a big deal I will turn it back on and moderate all comments. I also changed moderation from older than 14 days to older than 7.