Thursday, July 06, 2006

Madeleine L'Engle Part Two

So, I was making the post yesterday of all Madeleine L'Engle's books and I came to the conclusion that I don't really remember most of them. So, despite the fact I have a very large to be read pile that I have never read, I want to reread Madeleine L'Engle. I have reread them over the years but some of them have been a while and I want to know what is going on. This mainly came because I have the books in the other post labelled wrong. Some of the books I have being about the Austin family are actually about the O'Keeffe's. I will make the correct changes another day.

Last summer I reread A Wrinkle in Time, Many Waters, A Wind in the Door, and A Swiftly Tilting Planet. They came out with this 4-in-1 version and despite the fact I own all four of them, I bought the four-in-one book. Then when I want to reread all of them, I can. If I just want to read one, I have that too.

So, over the next few months, I hope to reread the following:

A Ring of Endless Light (Austin family)
The Young Unicorns (Austin family)
The Moon by Night (Austin family)
Troubling a Star (Austin family)
Meet the Austins (Austin family)
Certain Women (has some crossover characters but essentially a stand alone)
The Small Rain (Katherine Forrester)
A Severed Wasp (sequel to The Small Rain)
And Both Were Young (stand alone)
Camilla (Camilla Dickinson)
A Live Coal in the Sea (sequel to Camilla)

I am starting with the O'Keefe novels, which is Meg's family (from A Wrinkle in Time, but after she is grown up and married to Dr. Calvin O'Keefe)
Dragons in the Water
A House Like a Lotus
An Acceptable Time
The Arm of the Starfish (started last night)

There is no hurry to read them, it is just more for the fact that The Arm of the Starfish is familar to me but I don't remember the details. I am sure the other books will be virtually like reading an entirely new novel.

Somewhere in there I plan to read The Other Side of the Sun and I did some research on some of the older books that are out of print, hopefully I can use some online resources to fill in the holes. Some of her books are too expensive to bother with, but others are not so bad. Now I will stop boring people with Madeleine L'Engle rambling. It's just sad, she was born in (I think) 1918, so it is not like she is a spring chicken anymore. She was writing another O'Keefe book, but I think we have to face the fact that it seems unlikely it will ever be printed. :( It is supposed to be about Polly O'Keefe (Meg's daughter) all grown up.

This reread is also to see if I still come away with the same favourites.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

I am so sorry, but I turned anonymous commenting off. I have had it from the very beginning, but that is how the spam is getting by my spam filter at the moment. If it is a big deal I will turn it back on and moderate all comments. I also changed moderation from older than 14 days to older than 7.