Friday, November 07, 2008

Cry Wolf by Patricia Briggs


Now Briggs begins an extraordinary new series set in Mercy Thompson's world-but with rules of its own.

INTRODUCING THE ALPHA AND OMEGA NOVELS...


Anna never knew werewolves existed until the night she survived a violent attack . . . and became one herself. After three years at the bottom of the pack, she'd learned to keep her head down and never, ever trust dominant males. But Anna is that rarest kind of werewolf: an Omega. And one of the most powerful werewolves in the country will recognize her value as a pack member-and as his mate.

Dear Ms. Briggs,

I decided to do this review in letter format because I have a few things to address. It is highly unlikely that you will ever stumble upon my blog, I know you are very busy, but in the off chance that you ever do, I have a few things to address. Firstly, bravo! I have to admit, while I wanted to read this book since it came out, I was a bit worried. I love Mercedes Thompson and the world that you have created for her, so I was not sure what reading this series would lead to. I gathered from the short story that I read over the summer that it would be more romance involved because Anna actually knows (or we assume anyway) that she wants Charles as her mate. Mercedes has been working out her relationships and we are still waiting for a conclusion on that. I am not a big fan of romance unless it is worked into the story correctly. It was for this book, so I have no complaints!

I obviously found myself comparing characters. Do I like Mercedes better than Anna? Charles better than Samuel? The truth is, I really don't know. Anna has some gumption that she is working on having present all the time, but she is not the live-wire that Mercedes is. So, it probably wouldn't be fair to compare the two. As to Charles and Samuel, I feel like I know Charles better. Samuel has been in all the books (including this one), but not in the same way as Charles. So, again, it is not fair to compare the two. What I will say, then, is that I like all the characters. I think I am going to like this new series about as much as I like the Mercedes one, so I am happy that I finally read it! It is not like I haven't read other books by you and enjoyed them, I am quite a fan actually, but there is always a bit of worry when you start a new series by a beloved author.

I am so happy that you decided to write a series set in the same time and place as the Mercedes books. The characters in this book, with the exception of Anna, have been mentioned in the other series and I am happy that we got the chance to get to know them better. Authors really should do this more often when you think about it! It also means two books a year instead of only one, another thing that I wish other authors did! That being said, it is great that you included an excerpt from the new Mercedes Thompson book. I didn't read it, of course, because I am looking forward to the book anyway, so while make the wait even harder!

What I did note was that it is going to be coming out in hardcover! While I must congratulate on hardcover status, I wish that publishers wouldn't do this in the middle of series. I like my books to match, and now I either will have the first ones softcover and the rest hardcover, or I am going to have to wait an extra year to buy the book! Considering I am rather impatient, I am imagine my books will just not match! So, I am both happy for you and annoyed about the change. It happens all the time, I know, but it would be so nice if they could decide the authors worth in the beginning, not halfway through!

Really, though, I have to say that you are a very good author! I have obviously introduced other bloggers and friends to your books, and that makes me happy! I like getting the word out there and seeing people thanking me for introducing them to books that they might not have read otherwise. You are worth the hardcover price, so I hope that people will continue to take my recommendation and pick up your books! Now, I do have to say that I really have no idea what is up with the cover on this book... That is not how I pictured Anna at all. Actually, there is not a scene in there where she is dressed anywhere near the person on the cover of the book, she actually dresses pretty conservative, I thought, so I really wish I knew what the thought process behind covers on your books are! Very eye-catching, I give them that, but still...

Anyway, thank you for continuing to write such excellent books! I cannot wait until February 3rd when the next Mercedes book comes out!

Sincerley,

Kelly

5 comments:

  1. Count me as one you've introduced to Patricia Briggs. I haven't read any yet, but I sure plan to after reading your rave reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great booklogged, I hope you enjoy her! She is well-worth the read! I will be sad when I am caught up on all of her books. I guess I will have to start rereading, but I am not so good at the rereading thing...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like I said before...I went out and bought the first 2 Mercy Thompson books on your recommendation....and loved them!! I still haven't had a chance to read Iron Kissed.

    I do think I will like this series too!! And I like the letter format!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1:04 PM

    I can't read your review as I don't want to spoil any of it! I will be reading On The Prowl soon which has an intorductary short story and then moving straight on to this. I love Brigg's Mercy series and am hopeful for this one too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Stephanie, enjoy the rest of the Briggs books!

    Rhinoa: It was good! I look forward to your review!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

I am so sorry, but I turned anonymous commenting off. I have had it from the very beginning, but that is how the spam is getting by my spam filter at the moment. If it is a big deal I will turn it back on and moderate all comments. I also changed moderation from older than 14 days to older than 7.