Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Fire by Kristin Cashore


She is the last of her kind...

It is not a peaceful time in the Dells. In King City, the young King Nash is clinging to the throne, while rebel lords in the north and south build armies to unseat him. War is coming. And the mountains and forest are filled with spies and thieves. This is where Fire lives, a girl whose beauty is impossibly irresistible and who can control the minds of everyone around her.

Exquisitely romantic, this companion to the highly praised Graceling has an entirely new cast of characters, save for one person who plays a pivotal role in both books. You don't need to have read Graceling to love Fire. But if you haven't, you'll be dying to read it next.

Okay, all I can say is that I love Kristin Cashore. This series is likely my favourite series of the year. When I got a chance to read an advanced reading copy of Fire I jumped at the chance. I have it pre-ordered, too. I think everyone needs to read this series. I originally read Graceling through the library, but I have since bought a copy. Anyway, this is another wonderful buddy review with the wonderful Heather. I asked the questions and they are pretty basic, but since you have to wait a bit longer until the book comes out... it should be enough to add to your anticipation, but at the same time not give too much away.

Which book did you like better? Are you looking forward to book three?
Such an easy question, but such a hard answer. I really liked both books. While they are part of a series, they are actually not direct sequels. Fire is the prequel, but far enough back that it is more like companion books. If I had to choose a favourite, I would have to go with Graceling, I suppose. I loved it from the very first page, but Fire took me a few pages to get caught up in it. It probably wasn't the books fault, though, it was more worry that Fire wouldn't live up to Graceling and I really wanted it to. So, really, I liked both books about the same. I think it was a lot about the story. I loved the characters and the events that were played out. Everything was believable and exactly what I needed to keep turning the page. I didn't really find she suffered from being a new writer. She is pretty seasoned and reminds me a lot of Maria Snyder, who we all know I love! (Right?) Am I looking forward to book three? OF COURSE! It's forever away, though, (next year) and I want it now!

Which was the better heroine, in your opinion, Katsa or Fire?
In the beginning, I would have to say Katsa. She is such a badass and powerful female character that I cannot help loving. You see her skills from the very first and I really appreciated that Cashore was writing such an empowering character in a period where apparently main characters can be weak and spineless and still be loved beyond belief. I like a character that is human, but at the same time reaches for her potential. She doesn't settle for the hand that is dealt to her, but tries to rise above it. She can also like a guy without becoming insanely obsessed over him. That drives me crazy when the romance gets to be everything. Anyway, Fire was also very awesome, but I had to get used to her at first. Cashore is really good at writing her female leads. If I was a teenager reading them I would want to be like both of them. Actually, as an adult I want to be like both of them, so you can see the potential. Both women rock. That's all I can say.

What about the guy? Did you like Po better or Brigan?
You know, these questions are not very easy. So far I have pretty much just said both. When I was reading this question, though, Po jumped into my mind automatically. I think I feel like I know Po better. Cashore spent more time on him and we saw what things were like for him. I really felt for him. That being said... If I had a literary crush (which I rarely admit to), I think I would pick Brigan. Weird, huh? There was just something about Brigan that really appealed to me. Po was a better developed character and I really liked him, but still, I will have to go for Brigan. Regardless, both of them are younger than me, so not really plausible in the real world (for me, anyway). But, that is not really the question, is it? I really liked both of them. They both brought a lot to the story and I think both books would have lacked if they were not included. I liked a lot of the other secondary characters, too, though. It was just a really readable cast of characters.

Fire will be released on October 5th. Buy it!

14 comments:

  1. I still haven't read Graceling but am itching to now! Great review, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to read this! Loved Graceling! I hope she doesn't take too long to write the sequel to Graceling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those were fun answers...loved reading this review!

    Note to self: Get off lazy butt and go buy Graceling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:41 AM

    I must read Graceling and then give this a go. They have both been getting great reviews in the blog world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, yay!

    I totally agree: I love Po, but Brigan is completely crush-worthy. (Though is he as good as Valik?) I also can't wait for Bitterblue...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, yay!

    I totally agree: I love Po, but Brigan is completely crush-worthy. (Though is he as good as Valik?) I also can't wait for Bitterblue...

    ReplyDelete
  7. REALLY need to get my hands on Graceling, clearly! Ack, too many books! I am reading Megan Whelan Turner's The Thief now, which I think you read earlier this summer (along with the sequels)? We could do a buddy review, if you want :-) They seem fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really want to start this series now. It sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've said it before and I'm sure I'll say it again -- I get exposed to so many things I never would have found on my own, online! One of my kids is quite into fantasy, and so I pick up books here and there. I'll have to give this series a look, and pass it on to her as well. One book we've both enjoyed is also by someone new to me, Kathleen Wilson. "Rumer & Quix" is an eco-fantasy adventure that's set far into the future, and has, obviously an environmental theme.The 16-year-old heroine received a coded message from across the dimensional divide and sets off with her sidekick Qix for the rainforests of Peru for answers. The future is set in an optimistic hopeful light, and you get assurances mankind can turn things around before it's too late. And I like that kids play a big role in the process.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so looking forward to reading this one. Graceling was one of my absolute favorite reads of last year. I'm delighted to hear you enjoyed it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm SO looking forward to this! Horray for Kristin Cashore!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My son just read Graceling and loved it. I don't think the library's going to let me keep it long enough to read, this time around, but you guys have me convinced (so does the kiddo). I want to find out about this kick-ass Katsa gal.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now I'm itching to read this series! :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. So now I need to get my butt in gear and read the first one that I have had sitting here for like forever!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

I am so sorry, but I turned anonymous commenting off. I have had it from the very beginning, but that is how the spam is getting by my spam filter at the moment. If it is a big deal I will turn it back on and moderate all comments. I also changed moderation from older than 14 days to older than 7.