Saturday, December 05, 2009

Canada Reads 2010

I had all my posts for this week planned out and then I didn't actually post them! I don't know what is with me lately. I am hardly reading, I am hardly reading blogs, and I have hardly any interest in my own blog. So, I guess all my plans for this week will have to move until next week! I am not sure if I am going to do one of my Sunday posts tomorrow or not. My slowed down reading is kind of depressing me... I am just stressed period, I imagine!

The Canada Reads books for 2010 were announced, though. I have a little goal that I don't make official to eventually read all of these books eventually. This year I have all ready read three. Yay! I also have those Giller-a-thon aspirations... I have a lot of the books, but I need to actually read them! For some reason my reading always slows down at this time of the year. Anyway, the books up for the Canada Reads are:

Fall on Your Knees by Ann-Marie MacDonald - Yay! Nova Scotia representation is always a good thing. Plus, this is a really good book. I still have to read her other book. I read her play earlier this year, though, and enjoyed it!

The Jade Peony by Wayson Choy - I actually read this book this year, but I didn't like it... I just couldn't connect with it. It wasn't terrible, but I expected better I guess.

Generation X: Tales for an Accelerated Culture by Douglas Coupland - I love Douglas Coupland. I am not sure about this book. I often think I need to reread it because I don't know if I entirely got it the first time I read it. I think he has better books, but I am happy to see Coupland on here period!

Good to a Fault by Marina Endicott - Requested this book from the library.

Nikolski by Nicolas Dickner, translated by Lazer Lederhendler - I wanted to read this when it came out, but didn't get to it. Requested it from the library!

Thoughts on the books? I have until I think March to read those other two books... That might be doable!

6 comments:

  1. My reading has slowed down over the past few months too. So much that if I post one review a day (which I really hope I can!) I'll be caught up by my birthday. I've been behind all year so this is a great cause for celebration!

    Sorry, I haven't heard anything about these. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been looking into the books too. I read Fall on Your Knees ages ago, it was good, but I found it too dark. I'd like to read her other book.
    I love Coupland, but not Gen X as a good read. I recognize its importance, and I liked all the extra notes in the book, and I am a Gen X, but I'd not recommend it. He's got other better books to read that I wish had been picked - Hey Nostradamus, or Eleanor Rigby for example. But like you said, happy to see him on the list.

    I requested Jade Peony and Good to a Fault, and I am already on a list at the library. I think it's fun to read the books, knowing that lots of other people are reading them at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Fall on Your Knees....don't stress about reading and blogging. It should be fun and until you feel that way again don't be hard on yourself!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:33 PM

    I loved Fall On Your Knees--I found it in a booksale, and bought it on impulse. I've read it about three times. I hope you enjoy it. :]

    - Sasha
    Sasha & The Silverfish

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm looking for people to comment on my first blog question about The Jade Peony, if you would like to weigh in!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A great article indeed and a very detailed, realistic and superb analysis of the scenarios. I would like to thank the author of this article for contributing such a lovely and mind-opening article.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

I am so sorry, but I turned anonymous commenting off. I have had it from the very beginning, but that is how the spam is getting by my spam filter at the moment. If it is a big deal I will turn it back on and moderate all comments. I also changed moderation from older than 14 days to older than 7.