Thursday, April 07, 2011

terribly twisted tales edited by Jean Rabe and Martin H. Greenberg

terribly twisted tales edited by Jean Rabe and Martin H. Greenberg

Completion Date: April 6, 2011
Reason for Reading: Once Upon a Time V - Short Story Quest
eighteen stories that offer a new twist on old fairy tales

From Hansel and Gretel and Goldilocks, to Snow White, Cinderella, Jack and the Beanstalk, and more, here are eighteen stories that take familiar fairy tales and twist them around to give them an entirely new slant. Any fan of far-out fantasy is sure to be delighted.
Suey, from It's All About Books, has been posting lately about books that are discussed at the bookish events that she attends. On one such list was this book. I had never heard of it before, but I love fairy tale re-tellings and wanted to attempt the Short Story Quest for the Once Upon a Time challenge. So, I took a risk and bought a copy. Overall, it was a fun collection. I am glad I took a chance on it and had a lot of fun reading it. Like all short story collections, some stories were better than others, but still, it was pretty good.

Waifs by Dennis L. McKiernan:
I read this story and the very first few sentences fully convinced me that this is not your typical fairy tale collection. This is a retelling of Hansel and Gretel, but includes cameos from other fairy tale characters. This is also reminds me that McKiernan is an author that I have a series on the go by... It was different, that's for sure!

My Great-Great-Grandma Golda Lockes by Annie Jones:
In this story, an author I have never heard of before, sets the record straight about who Golda Lockes (Goldie Locks) really was and what she really was doing living with a bunch of bears. I think she did a good job setting the record straight.

Once They Were Seven by Chris Pierson:
What this retells should be clear from the title, but with seven being a popular number in fairy tales it never occurred to me that it was retelling of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. I liked the overall idea of this story, actually.

Capricious Animistic Tempter by Mickey Zucker Reichert:
This story is by an author that my eye tends to fall on when I am in the bookstore, but this is the first time I actually have read him. It was an interesting retelling of Puss in Boots and includes a bit different Jack than the one we are used to seeing.

A Charming Murder by Mary Louise Eklund:
A re-telling of the Cinderella story. It is not exactly the story that we are used to hearing...

Jack and the Genetic Beanstalk by Robert E. Vardeman:
This was entertaining. Jack reappears ago, but with a very strange twist that you are probably not expecting!

What's in a Name? by Kathleen Watness:
A common characteristic in fairy tales and fantasy is the power behind a persons real name. This story is about just how powerful a name is and is essentially also a retelling of Rumpelstiltskin (did I actually spell that right?).

No Good Deed by Jody Lynn Nye:
I am not entirely sure what this is a retelling of, to be honest.

The Red Path by Jim C. Hines:
Retelling of 'Little Red Riding Hood'. This story is very popular at the moment with the movie release and there are actually a couple re-tellings. This is a bit more of an empowering story version.

Lost Child by Steven D. Sullivan:
This is a re-telling of 'Peter Pan', which is not something you see very often, so I enjoyed it!

Rapunzel Strikes Back by Brendan DuBois:
An interesting re-telling of 'Rapunzel'. Again, a bit more empowering.

Revenge of the Little Match Girl by Paul Genesse:
This story still depressed me, but it was a bit different than the original tale and I am not entirely sure I agreed with the ending, but I suppose it makes sense.

Clockwork Heart by Ramsey "Tomw Wyrm" Lundock:
A re-telling of 'Pinocchio', which is another story I don't see retold very often. It is also a story about ones purpose in life...

The Hundred Year Nap by Skip and Penny Williams:
'Sleeping Beauty', of course. I have always, and continue to, HATED the original versions of this fairy tale. This wasn't so bad, I suppose. At least when the princess awakes they don't get married that second and live happily ever after.

Five Goats and a Troll by Elizabeth A. Vaughan:
Re-telling of the famous Goat story. It was an interesting retelling.

Something About Mattresses by Janet Deaver-Pack:
This was a combination re-telling of 'The Princess and the Pea' and a Space Opera? It actually sort of worked...

Three Wishes by Kelly Swails:
Look at the common idea of three wishes found in stories. I really liked this story by the end.

The Adventure of Red Riding Hoods by Michael A. Stackpole:
Another re-telling of Red Riding Hood. It includes a character that I think was likely modeled off Sherlock Holmes.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds fun! I've only heard of a couple of the authors though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. *Nicola: Me too! I added it to my wish list based on the idea and not the authors included...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That cover alone makes me smile! Ha... What a cool collection. I need to see if my library has this one. Glad to hear you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. *Iliana: It was fun! I think there is more of them, but I haven't looked yet because I don't need anymore books at the moment. lol

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

I am so sorry, but I turned anonymous commenting off. I have had it from the very beginning, but that is how the spam is getting by my spam filter at the moment. If it is a big deal I will turn it back on and moderate all comments. I also changed moderation from older than 14 days to older than 7.