Sunday, January 05, 2014

Week In Review (1)

Random Thoughts

I decided to bring back my old weekend post... I don't think I have done it since sometime in 2012. I used to love it because even if I don't post anything else that week, it gives me a chance to recap and at least feel accomplished. I will be tweaking it a bit to accommodate the things I have going on in my world. 

Lucy Maud Montgomery Year
I have been getting organized for this project because I only decided at the very end of 2013 that I was even going to do it. I started her first collection of short stories, written between 1896 and 1901, and got the rest of the collections for my e-reader. I think this is the simplest way to read her short story collections even though I do have a few random volumes on my TBR. They are just collected by themes instead of year. If I go with a chronological reading I don't have to read a novel until I hit 1908. I am not sure how strict I will be. I decided to listen to Anne of Green Gables on audio, so it will just depend on where I am in the short stories when I get to the audio. I have to finish my current listen and listen to one other before getting to Anne. I have to say that so far the stories are just shorter versions of the themes that Montgomery tackles in her novels. 

Graphic Novel Year

I decided on the 1st that I was going to read a lot of graphic novels this year. I fell behind in some of my favourite series not reading in 2013 and I am determined to be caught up before the year ends. I also have decided to reread Fables because I want to double-check my suggested reading order post. (And, because, it is Fables and I have only read most of them once!)

So far I have accomplished:
Fables - Volume 19: Snow White
Fables - Volume 1: Legends in Exile

Other Reading Projects

I have picked some authors that, in a dream world, I would like to work on in 2014: Lois McMaster Bujold, Terry Pratchett, and J.D. Robb. They are HUGE series, so it is more working on them and not letting them remain lost and ignored on my TBR. I finished a Bujold book at the very end of 2013 and am currently read the next book in her Vorksogian series, Shards of Honor

Challenge News
I was in high spirits starting out the year because I managed to spend a lot of time reading, but then I got busy... I am reading books that count for challenges, but the only two books I have managed to complete so far are the Fables which count for the Graphic Novel Challenge. I am doing Bout of Books Read-a-thon starting tomorrow, though, so hopefully I will do better! I am just really paranoid this year will be bad like last year...

Audiobooks
I started listening to audiobooks in 2013. Yay! For Christmas I increased my membership to two credits a month... We will see how that goes... Currently I am still listening to Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell. I love it!

Currently Reading
Shards of Honor by Lois McMaster Bujold (Sci-Fi Experience/Long-Awaited Reads)
The Antagonist by Lynn Coady (Postal Reading Challenge)
Lucy Maud Montgomery Short Stories, 1896 to 1901 by Lucy Maud Montgomery
The Complete Stories by Flannery O'Connor

Weekly Reads

I am just going to include what I read in 2014...

Fables - Volume 19: Snow White - I loved this! I wish the art was a bit better... It just didn't impress me like other volumes, but I did really enjoy learning more about Snow White and can't wait for Volume 20. (Completed January 1, 2014)






Fables - Volume 1: Legends in Exile - A reread. I have actually reread this another time because I had planned to reread the series and then didn't keep it up... I originally read the book in 2009, though. On January 1, actually. So, I reread it almost exactly 5 years after I read it originally. (Completed January 2, 2014)




Weekly Posts

Top Ten Tuesday: My Favourite Books of 2013
End of the Year Book Survey - Best Books!
Cat Thursday: Looking Back on 2013
End of the Year Book Survey - Looking Ahead

New Additions

We went to Value Village last night and I got the following:

Packing for Mars by Mary Roach
Eight Days of Luke by Diana Wynne Jones
City of Women by David Gillman
Mrs. Robinson's Disgrace by Kate Summerscale
Redshirts by John Scalzi

14 comments:

  1. I like the weekend post. I try, when I do one, to kind of recap my week, not necessarily books. Late last year I started doing the meme It's Monday, What are You Reading? I like it, but I hope it's not too repetitive. I only read/ listen to 1-3 books a week depending on time.
    I love audio books, since I stopped working I need to find a good balance of when to listen at home. I love audible, I had to out my acct on hold, I just had too many in my reserve. Sounds crazy I know!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll definitely be reading more Bujold this year. I just got a package in last week from Amazon that included the two-volume Baen Omnibus with the first Miles stories.

    I don't think I've read any of LM Montgomery's short fiction, but I do adore her Anne books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also am a fan of the weekend post as it is when I do most of my blog reading and it's a good time to catch up with posts from earlier in the week too that I might have missed.

    The variety of genre you read always impresses me and I always find one or two or three (or four or five or six) that I want to add to my own TBR pile. I'm not even going to try to mention all of them this time around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, you are going to love Redshirts. I actually listened to it and Wil Wheaton's brilliant narration. It still makes me laugh. City of Women is excellent. Such a fascinating subject.

    It sounds like you are starting the year out strong! Keep it up and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay, I like these posts :) Sounds like you have a really good year of reading ahead of you!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great way to recap what's been going on! I love the graphic for the graphic novel challenge. Cute. I'm going to look forward to your recommendations. I've not been reading many graphic novels and miss them. I have one on hold at the library so hope it comes in soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous2:28 AM

    Im reading my very first Graphic Novel right now - Cemetery Girl by Charlaine Harris.

    Have a fab reading week!
    Shelleyrae @ Book'd out

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really should spring for an Audible account. I love audiobooks and using Audible is a breeze.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, Kathy! You should start on Audible account! :D I love Audible (though if they asked me how to improve it, I could fill pages with my suggestions.)
    and Kelly! YAY for back to blogging. Stretching my fingers now to start getting ready for Letter Month!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like some good reading. I don't usually read Graphic novels but I think I might enjoy that Fables series. Packing for Mars sounds intriguing!

    Good luck with your challenges and have fun with the Read-a-Thon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I miss doing the Sunday Salon posts, but it's hard to prep those early (which I have to do if I'm going to post) and have them still be relevant.

    I would like to put a dent in my graphic novel stack (which isn't that big--so what's my excuse?) this year if possible. And listen to more audio books. We'll see. My listening time is so small. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous1:51 AM

    I really like the idea of a weekend wrap up post like this.

    Also, this is going to be such a graphic novel year for me, too, as I am OBSESSED with them right now!

    ReplyDelete
  13. YAY!!! I'm so glad you're bringing these posts back, Kelly! I always enjoyed them so much! :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't know how long John Scalzi (thanks to Carl) has been on my list. And still unread. Maybe I should make that one of my reading goals--read at least one Scalzi!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

I am so sorry, but I turned anonymous commenting off. I have had it from the very beginning, but that is how the spam is getting by my spam filter at the moment. If it is a big deal I will turn it back on and moderate all comments. I also changed moderation from older than 14 days to older than 7.