Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Book Review: Incendiary Girls: Stories by Kodi Scheer

Incendiary Girls: Stories by Kodi Scheer

Completion Date: April, 2014
Length: 208 Pages

Synopsis from Goodreads:
Incendiary Girls explores our baser instincts with vivid imagination and humor. In these stories, our bodies become strange and unfamiliar terrain, a medium for transformation. In “Fundamental Laws of Nature,” a doctor considers her legacy, both good and bad, when she discovers that her mother has been reincarnated as a thoroughbred mare. In the title story, a mischievous angel chronicles the remarkable life of a girl just beyond death’s reach.In Scheer’s hands, empathy and attachment are illuminated by the absurdity of life. When our bodies betray us, when we begin to feel our minds slip, how much can we embrace without going insane? How much can we detach ourselves before losing our humanity? Scheer’s stories grapple with these questions in each throbbing, choking, heartbreaking moment.
I never know what to say about short story collections, so I am going to a 'bulleted' review:

  • Generally, I am not a big short story reader because I just prefer the longer format of novels. I like to make exceptions once in a while and this was my recent exception.
  • I read the descriptions initially, but then time goes on and I completely forget by the time I read the book. I was very surprised by this book! 
  • I think this might be the best short story collection I have read in years. I read the book entirely in one sitting, which rarely happens with short story collections, and for the most part enjoyed all of the stories.
  • The description above mentions 'vivid imagination and humor'. That sounds about right. Actually, I kind was thinking that Scheer's brain must be an interesting place to come up with these stories.
  • If you are looking for something original you need look no further than this book!
  • The stories are a bit unbelievable... I mean, how often do you read a story about a girl who believes her boyfriend has turned into a camel or a daughter who is thinks her mother has been resurrected as a horse. At face value, it seems kind of crazy, but it is really not because the stories are written so well.
  • The only story I was a bit 'meh' about, funny enough, was the title story. I feel like I have to reread it because it just didn't seem to mesh with the rest of the collection for me. I might have missed something.
  • Other than themes of fantastical and magical, the combining thread is medical. It is not something I would rush out and read typically, but it worked in this context. 
  • I think my only major complaint with this collection, especially for some of the stories, was I wanted more... I hope Scheer plans to write novels because I am curious!
Bottom line... I don't generally like short story collections, but I loved this one!


9 comments:

  1. Always nice to be surprised by enjoying something more than you expect to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy short story collections now and then, but can be very picky about them. This sounds like something I might like, especially after reading how much you enjoyed the stories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love short stories, so this really sounds like a book I should try.
    Some of the ideas sound very unusual. Makes me curious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I almost never choose short stories over a novel, but these sound interesting. Especially since your only complaint is that there were not more of them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This collection sounds strange! I may just read it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like a completely unique set of stories! I've read some paranormal but I don't think I've ever come across reincarnating into animals! I'm going to have to keep an eye out for this one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you liked it, it's always nice to find a book in a genre/format you don't usually read and like it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay! I'm glad to see how much you enjoyed this one. "best short story collection I have read in years" is a high recommendation to be sure!

    Thanks for being a part of the tour.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do enjoy short story collections from time to time so I'll have to check this one out!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

I am so sorry, but I turned anonymous commenting off. I have had it from the very beginning, but that is how the spam is getting by my spam filter at the moment. If it is a big deal I will turn it back on and moderate all comments. I also changed moderation from older than 14 days to older than 7.