Tuesday, April 01, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: "Gateway" Books/Authors In My Reading Journey

Top Ten Tuesday is hosted at The Broke & The Bookish

1. Colleen Gleason and The Rest Falls Away was the first time I ever stepped into the romance section of the bookstore! 

2. Marjane Satrapi and Persepolis started me reading graphic novels.

3. Bill Willingham and Fables cemented my love and obsession with graphic novels.

4. Patricia Briggs and Moon Called was when I started reading paranormal fantasy. She is one of the few series I started back then I still looking forward to a new book from!

5. Libba Bray and A Great and Terrible Beauty was the moment when I decided that young adult books have gotten way better than the ones I used to read when I actually was a young adult!

6. Marion Zimmer Bradley and The Mists of Avalon was the moment where I realized just how much I loved fantasy novels.

7. Madeleine L'Engle and A Wrinkle in Time was the moment when I started reading science-fiction more.

8. Jo Walton and What Makes This Book so Great has greatly influenced my reading so far this year!!

9. Bryan Peterson and Understanding Exposure has lead to not only collecting all of Bryan Peterson's books; but signing up for his newsletter, and branching out to other photography books.  

10. Svetlana Chmakova and Dramacon was one of the first times I tried manga because I discovered it was manageable and not always insane amounts of books!


8 comments:

  1. Awesome list! Mists of Avalon is one of my favorite books. It's not the one I thought of as my fantasy gateway book, but I am pretty sure I read it around the same time I really started getting into fantasy. Maus was my graphic novel gateway book. Persepolis is good too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to read Persepolis. We've toyed around at the idea of adding a graphic novel to our curriculum (I teach high school) and that is a title that has been mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read alot of mangas/GNs. I absolutely loved the *Dramacon* series.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh, A Wrinkle in Time...such a great book! Totally adding What Makes This Book So Great to my TBR, reading sci-fi classics is something I need to do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Persepolis is the perfect graphic novel to start with!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love seeing the gateways to another's reading! Fun and useful for inspiration in choosing new books!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am very curious about What Makes This Book So Great - really should get my hands on it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Understanding Exposure is an excellent book, like you I picked up several of his other books too

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

I am so sorry, but I turned anonymous commenting off. I have had it from the very beginning, but that is how the spam is getting by my spam filter at the moment. If it is a big deal I will turn it back on and moderate all comments. I also changed moderation from older than 14 days to older than 7.