Sunday, April 02, 2006

Rockbound - Frank Parker - Day [February/06]


This novel is considered a classic in Canada. I had to read it for my Atlantic Canadian Literature class, and I thought I would like it, but I am sad to say I found it really dull! So dull, I am not really sure what I am going to say about it. It takes place on South Shore Nova Scotia, and actually when the author retired he moved to very near to where I was brought up. That is sort of interesting. Anyways, the book was written in the 19oo's and then vanished for a very long time, only to resurface in the last few years when another Canadian author nominated it for an award. It won, and the book has been around ever since.

I know that it is supposed to be a great work, and I know many people that have loved it, but I just found it monotonous with every other book set in the Maritimes. We are often associated with fishing, and fishing is what this book is about. It is really all the book is about, and I can generally handle that, so I wonder if my dislike of the book was based on the books I read around it. I mean, the book I read just before it was Good Omens, which I adored, so that would make a book about fishing look sort of dull in comparison. So, I intend to read it again when I read a more subdued book and maybe I will see what all the hype is about.

2.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

I am so sorry, but I turned anonymous commenting off. I have had it from the very beginning, but that is how the spam is getting by my spam filter at the moment. If it is a big deal I will turn it back on and moderate all comments. I also changed moderation from older than 14 days to older than 7.