|Top Ten Tuesday is Hosted at The Broke and the Bookish|
Tuesday, December 06, 2016
Monday, December 05, 2016
My holiday wishlist and/or my "dream" stocking?
I may be a bit of Rush fan and love Neil Peart's other books.
This book sounds really good!
Edgar Allan Poe colouring book!
I have loved her other nonfiction. Why must this be so expensive!
There are probably other things, but lists for myself are hard!
Sunday, December 04, 2016
My gift recommendations for the 2016 holiday season.
This was the topic for Top Ten Tuesday last week and I shared my graphic novel recommendations!
Otherwise, I recommend:
1. Journals - Bullet Journalling is therapeutic
2. Planners - Who can't be more organised?
3. Pens - I love pens.
4. Colouring books! - Adult colouring has shown to be very relaxing.
5. An Audible Membership - Audiobooks are a great way to multi-task & still read.
I think December is going to be audiobooks and graphic novels. It just seems to be where my head is. I have lots of other things going on this month, so at least with audiobooks I can multi-task! In January there will likely be snow and the excitement of a new start to the year, so I will get back to my TBR then. That could change. Moods, you know how they are...
Graphic Novel Year
The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl - Volume 1
Patsy Walker, AKA Hellcat - Volume 1: Hooked on a Feline
The Book of the Unnamed Midwife ~ I listened to this on audio. It was kind of a whim listen and I am glad I took a chance on it. It was a different take on the post-apocalyptic reads out there right now. And, I think more believable than some of them that are popular right now. It definitely made me think about things and how the world would react if the events came to pass. It also talks about feminism and women. Recommended!
Patsy Walker A.K.A. Hellcat ~ I am a bit behind on my Marvel comic reading, but this is one I was curious about and it was a lot of fun! I am glad I got a chance to check it out. I am looking forward to more in the series. Recommended!
Where'd You Go, Bernadette ~ I have been meaning to check this out forever. I am so glad I did the audio because it was a fun listen! I actually listened to it really quickly for me. I am getting better with multi-tasking and listening to audio. It means a lot more listening time than I had ever managed before. If you ever wondered why Bernadette was missing and where she went, this is the time to check it out and on audio. Strongly Recommended!
Spider-Women ~ A crossover with the Spider-women of the Marvel universe. I think it is fun that there is Spider-Woman, Silk, and Spider-Gwen on the run at the moment and they got a series together. Many of the famous comic book heroes are men, so I hope this wave of women grows larger! Recommended!
The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl - Volume 1 ~ And then there is Squirrel Girl! She is so fun and I enjoy that she even exists. It is kind of an usual mixture of girl and squirrel. But, I suppose spiders would have seemed unusual before Spider-Man was so popular. She gets into lots of adventures in this volume and it is so fun to visit with her and her friends! Recommended!
Nothing this week...
Week in Review - Week 48
Movie Month - Day 27
Movie Month - Day 28
Top Ten Tuesday - Holiday Gift Guide - Ten Books to Buy the Graphic Novel Reader in Your Life
Movie Month - Day 29
Movie Month - Day 30
Wordless Wednesday - Take 10
WWW Wednesday - On Thursday (9)
Saturday, December 03, 2016
Where do you do your shopping? Online or in store? Do you love or hate shopping? Do you have a plan and stick to it?
I am definitely an online shopper. I only enter a store if I have to! I hate shopping at the best of times. I am so happy I don't have to do the stores hardly ever. We really just enter the grocery store most of the time. lol I do not have a plan. I am very last minute. I think the only plan I have is a spending limit. lol
Well, we got a cat... She is very cute, but there are disadvantages of going back in the kitten years. She plays with our feet when we are sleeping and will not stay out of the Christmas tree. It is an adventure all over again! My reading was kind of quiet, but that is honestly not new for November. Hoping December is a great month to end out the year!
272. The Promise of Canada by Charlotte Gray
273. Gotham Academy - Volume 3: Yearbook by Brendan Fletcher
274. Bookburners Season 1, Episode 11: Codex Umbra by Max Gladstone
275. Bookburners Season 1, Episode 12: Shore Leave by Mur Lafferty
276. Being Jazz by Jazz Jennings
277. Bookburners Season 1, Episode 13: Keeping Friends Close by Mur Lafferty
278. Bookburners Season 1, Episode 14: Puppets by Brian Francis Slattery
279. Jackaby by William Ritter
280. The Girl from Everywhere by Heidi Heilig
281. Feedback by Mira Grant
282. The Marvels by Brian Selznick
283. Behind the Throne by K.B. Wagers
284. The Magician's Elephant by Kate DiCamillo
285. The Evil Wizard Smallbone by Delia Sherman
286. The Comet Seekers by Helen Sedgwick
287. The Book of the Unnamed Midwife by Meg Elison
Gotham Academy - 3/3
Jackaby - 1/3
The Girl From Everywhere - 1/1
The Newsflesh Series - 4/4
The Indranan Series - 1/1
The Magician's Elephant
The Book of the Unnamed Midwife
Books Added to the TBR Pile
The Evil Wizard Smallbone (read)
The Witches of New York
The Twelve Days of Dash & Lily
The Sea of Tranquility
Gotham Academy - Volume 3: Yearbook (read)
Friday, December 02, 2016
5 Popular Books Worth the Hype
1. | I actually read Illumiae and Gemina in 2016 after hearing so much about Illuminae in 2015. They were both definitely worth the read!
2. | The Nightingale was one of those 2015 books that I saw everywhere. I finally got a chance to read it a couple months ago and it was really good! I got a bit tired of WWII books for a while there, but this was worth trying them again for.
3. | The Fifth Season won the Hugo Award this year, so it was definitely buzzed about. I read it and loved it and actually bought the audiobook in the recent Audible sale because I want to reread it at some point. I am hoping to get to the sequel before the year is out or early next year.
4. | The Girls was definitely buzzed about this year and I amazingly bought it this year and read it this year. While maybe not the best book I read this year, I am still really happy that I read it and think it deserves the attention it has received.
5. | The follow-up to The Snow Child was so well done! Eowyn Ivey is an amazing author and I cannot wait to see what she comes up with next!
Is there an album or movie you like to listen to or watch first?
Not really. My music tends to move in the direction of whatever is on my computer for my first listen of the year and then branch out as December gets going. As to movies, I make sure to watch Muppet Christmas Carol before the month is over. That is about all the planning that I do for that.
1. | I guess I am in a bit of a reading slump. I have been doing really well with audios, but actually sitting down and reading has not really been happening. I kind of suspect that will be the month of December. It is a busy time.
2. | Last year I did the Star Wars Lego Advent Calendar. I decided to do it again this year. I also, at the last minute, decided to do the Davids Tea Advent Calendar. I have wanted to for a few years, but it is a bit of a splurge. I justified it by talking the guy into doing it with me. New Christmas tradition for the win! The first day went well. Hoping that continues!
3. | Emma the Elf is back! I didn't do a photo-a-day with her last year, but I decided to bring her back this year. Although, as I write this up Thursday evening, I haven't actually done a picture yet. I had an idea that didn't work out yet. For those that are not sure what I am talking about, I bought an Elf on the Shift in like 2013 or so.
4. | I seem to be bought in by Audible emails lately. I am listening to Free the Darkness: King's Dark Tidings by Kel Kade. I have never heard of it before, but I guess it is good epic fantasy. So far it is pretty good. Hopefully I continue to think so because it is 16 hours.
5. | I sort of started decorating for Christmas. I put the bottom part of the Christmas tree in the stand, didn't even push down the branches, and Chloe was eating it. Finn also has been chewing at it. I forgot that I have not put a tree up in his lifetime either. Casey was the only one that saw a tree. We will see how this goes when I decorate it tomorrow!
6. | I want to do all the things this month. I think it is because it is the last month of the year and I feel like there was so much that I neglected as the year got going. I feel this way every year and figure that things will catch up with me and I will get like nothing done. We will see how that goes, too!
7. | I am thinking about what I want to do in 2017. I should make a list of things that I want to accomplish... Maybe I will start one in my Bullet Journal. But, then I probably will neglect it. There are some big things I need to do in 2017...
Thursday, December 01, 2016
WHAT ARE YOU CURRENTLY READING?
My actual reading has been quiet the last few days. Just haven't had time to pick up a book and settle in with it. I am technically reading The Queen of the Blood by Sarah Beth Durst. I am liking it so far and hopefully will get some time to settle in with it soon!
WHAT ARE YOU CURRENTLY LISTENING TO?
I have started exploring my Christmas present audio books! I went with Where'd You Go, Bernadette as my first listen and am almost done. I actually own this book in paperback, but had heard the audio was good... And, it is. So, I won't get mad at myself for buying something I all ready own. At least it will soon be off my TBR!
WHAT DID YOU RECENTLY FINISH READING?
Last week I had so much to talk about... This week, I have finished The Book of the Unnamed Midwife on audio. It was good for a splurge that I had not even heard of before. It is a twist on the typical end of the world type stuff and actually touches on gender and sexuality a lot. I liked how it was not like the other books out there and it actually made me think about issues that are presented in the book. If I had to guess, I would say she read The Handmaid's Tale.
WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU WILL READ NEXT?
That is always the question... I have so many books that I wanted to get to this year, and now here we are the last month of the year and I am reading so slowly. December is always a busy month, so we will see how things play out!
These Are A Few of My Favourite Things
My fur balls. 2016 was rough in that I lost Casey and have pretty much accepted that she is not coming back. It still doesn't feel real. But, she will never be forgotten and Chloe has fit in nicely. If Casey does ever come back, I know they will get along fine.
Audiobooks. 2016 has become the year of the audiobook for me. Going on the treadmill has really improved my ankle and listening to audiobooks at the same time played a big part in it. I am hoping 2017 will be just as great! A quick flip through my read books this year shows I have listened to 33 audios. That is a good number for me and only started part way into the year.
E-Book Sales. Thanks to 1-day e-book sales, I was able to read books that I would not normally have had the chance to this year because hardcovers are way more expensive now than they used to be. So, instead of waiting for the paperback, I was able to grab a cheap e-book copy instead. (Or, listen to the audio.)
Planners. I did a bullet journal and then added in a Happy Planner. I am kind of finding it hard to keep up with the Happy Planner lately, life has been busy, but I have kept my Bullet Journal up all year except a couple days. It just took me a bit to figure out my method.
Litsy & Instagram. I love taking pictures and now I have two apps to do it with!
These are just a few of my favourite things... What are yours?
When do you begin listening to Christmas music or watching Christmas movies?
While I will listen to Christmas music here and there during November, I only officially start listening to Christmas music and watching Christmas movies on December 1st. After seeing how bad I am at movie watching, I am hoping to get to some older Christmas classics this year. Any suggestions? I should also check out some new music... I listen to the same stuff every year!