Sunday, June 11, 2006

Glory in Death - J.D. Robb [June/06]


Welcome back to the life of Lt. Eve Dallas in the second book in the long-running series. As the blurb about the book states:

The first victim was found lying on a sidewalk in the rain. The second was murdered in her own apartment building. Police Lieutenant Eve Dallas had no problem finding connections between the two crimes. Both victims were beautiful and highly successful women. Their glamorous lives and loves were the talk of the city. And their intimate relations with men of great power and wealth provided Eve with a long list of suspects including her own lover, Roarke. A a woman, Eve was compelled to trust the man who shared her bed. But as a cop, it was her job to follow every lead... to investigate every scandalous rumor... to explore every secret passion, no matter how dark. Or how dangerous...

It is not all the time that I find an author I can read so close together, I normally like to have some variety, but I find myself enjoying this novels enough to read them frequently. I am already started on book 3 of the series. It is interesting to watch Dallas deal with cases that many times hit close to her own dark and damning past. Her father treated her cruelly and now she is watching women die for much the same reason. Men and their need for power over women. In a crime novel Robb is pointing out that even in the future, if things don't change, men will be killing women because they believe that women have too much power. That is what this novel boils down to, power.

Eve also has to keep trying to work out her personal and professional life. Roarke is involved in most things that happen in the world and off it, so she finds herself constantly up against the man that she loves without even meaning to. It tests her again and again to understand that not everyone out there is going to hurt her, there are people she can trust. When she slowly starts opening herself to the world around her, the reader gets a chance to not only see her bring the bad guys down, but also come to terms with herself as a person.

3.5/5

2 comments:

  1. I'm nearly finished book 3 and am so hooked on this series!! I am glad that I can read them all so close together and don't have to wait for books to be published!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a really good series!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

I am so sorry, but I turned anonymous commenting off. I have had it from the very beginning, but that is how the spam is getting by my spam filter at the moment. If it is a big deal I will turn it back on and moderate all comments. I also changed moderation from older than 14 days to older than 7.