Sunday, July 16, 2006

Sam's Letters to Jennifer - James Patterson [July/06]

This is actually a reread for me, something that I don't do very often, but I was at the bookstore and it was rereleased in mass market. I decided that if it came to the second hand bookstore, I would buy it. So, the other day it came to the second hand store and I bought it. Now I have to read Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas again because like this book, I bought it second hand when it came out in mass market. James Patterson is not a typical author for me, I have only ever read these two books and the two that I posted about earlier this summer. This is a worthwhile book, though.

From the back of the book:

Grief-stricken by a recent tragedy, Jennifer returns to the resort village where she grew up to help her beloved grandmother. There, Jennifer will not only discover new meaning in life - and experience not one, but two of the most amazing love stories ever.

I don't read a lot of romance, but I will read Nicholas Sparks. This James Patterson novel reminds me of Nicholas Sparks and is why I cannot help loving it. With a reread you never know if you will like it as much as you did the first time through, but while this a very simplistically written novel, it was still great for the second time. Hopefully Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas will be the same.

I noticed this in the opening pages of this novel, and I thought it was a wonderful reason to read this book:

Dear Reader,

Let me tell you an extraordinary story about my best-selling novel Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas.

Soon after it was published, I was on a television show and the host shared this story with me: The previous night he had given Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas to his wife to read. He went off to sleep, only to be awakened by his wife at 2:30 in the morning. She apologized profusely and said she'd just finished the book, and "I had to hug you and tell you how much I love you"

That is why I wrote Sam's Letters to Jennifer. Please enjoy it and spread the word.

All my best,
-James Patterson

See, now that is a good reason to write a book, isn't it?

In the novel, the main character, Jennifer is not having a very good last few years. An accident left her broken-hearted and all she has in her life to keep her happy is Sam. Then one day, a phone call come in that Sam is in the hospital and her life comes crashing down around her once more. It is only with returning to her childhood summer home that she finds the missing pieces to her life. Things will not be easy, but she has found a gift that will get her through the dark days and help her find the light at the end of the tunnel.

A very touching love story.

4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

I am so sorry, but I turned anonymous commenting off. I have had it from the very beginning, but that is how the spam is getting by my spam filter at the moment. If it is a big deal I will turn it back on and moderate all comments. I also changed moderation from older than 14 days to older than 7.