Saturday, December 09, 2006

O'Canada Challenge

I seem to collect more Canadian authors that I read lately. Of this list, I would like to read 12 in 2007.

Mass Market Paperbacks:
1. The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood
2. The Robber Bride by Margaret Atwood
3. Cat's Eye by Margaret Atwood
4. Something I've Been Meaning to Tell You by Alice Munro
5. The Progress of Love by Alice Munro
6. A Song for Arbonne by Guy Gavriel Kay
7. The Hidden World by Alison Baird
8. The Luck of the Irish by Harry J. Boyle
9. Home from the Vinyl Cafe by Stuart McLean
10.The Penelopiad by Margaret Atwood

Trade/Hardcover:

1. The Chronicles of Faery by O.R. Melling (3/4 read)
2. Downwind by Lesley Choyce
3. Cat's Crossing by Bill Cameron
4. Butterflies Dance in the Dark by Beatrice MacNeil
5. Falling Angels by Barbara Gowdy
6. When the Monster Dies by Kate Pullinger
7. The Island Wlakers by John Bemrose
8. Adultery by Richard B. Wright
9. Truth and Bright Water by Thomas King
10.Anil's Ghost by Michael Ondaatje
11.Hateship, Friendship, Courtship, Loveship, Marriage by Alice Munro
12.The Time in Between by David Bergen
13.The Josephine B. Trilogy by Sandra Gulland

11 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:25 PM

    Hmm... is this an official challenge, or just something that you're doing on your own? Because I would so seriously join in on something like this. I don't read enough Canadian authors as it is. (Though, knowing me, if I were to participate in a challenge like this, half of the books would be by Will Ferguson.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:10 AM

    I am going to set a challenge for you....it's the "How do I keep track of all of my challenges" Challenge!

    Just kidding! LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Court - Feel free to join in!

    Marg - I rearranged my bookshelves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:49 PM

    oh, great idea for a challenge! I also have several Canadian books that I never seem to get to. So many challenges! Would it be bad to have several books overlapping them all? :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nope. The point is just to read more authors from your own country

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous9:26 PM

    Oh, I loved A Song for Arbonne. GGK has some very good books. I think I haven't read him since Sailing to Sarantium, though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous12:15 AM

    Ok, I'm going to join you. Once I make a list of the Canadian books I have, I'll post on my blog. Could be a week or so.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love to join this challenge, but I have far too much on my plate already! Maybe I'll steal your idea for something in late spring. Perhaps a Nationality Challenge of sorts. BTW, I just posted about Stuart McLean's Vinyl Cafe today (12/13)! Love his stuff!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous11:48 PM

    Hi there. I linked here from tanabata's entry about your challenge. I'm new to blogging and reading challenges, but I thought I'd just throw a comment here and let you know that it's a great idea and I'm joining you in this goal. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, this is an inspiring idea. I'll join in as well, and post my ongoing Canadiana reads on my blog. Good luck with your choices; I've read a few of them and look forward to hearing what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great idea!

    Some authors notably missing that folks might consider adding:

    Pierre Berton
    Stuart McLean
    William Deverell
    John MacLachlan Gray
    Ian Thomas (yes, the singer! His first novel is called "Bequest")

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

I am so sorry, but I turned anonymous commenting off. I have had it from the very beginning, but that is how the spam is getting by my spam filter at the moment. If it is a big deal I will turn it back on and moderate all comments. I also changed moderation from older than 14 days to older than 7.