Thursday, June 21, 2007

Deep Fathom by James Rollins


My Hundredth Book of the Year!!!
Completion Date: June 18, 2007
Pages:
Publication Year: 2001
Owned Prior to 2007

Reason for Reading: James Rollins is a very refreshing author.

Ex-Navy SEAL Jack Kirkland surfaces from an aborted underwater salvage mission to find the Earth burning.

Solar flares have triggered a series of gargantuan natural disasters. Earthquakes and hellfire rock the globe. Air Force One has vanished from the skies with America's president on board. Now, with the U.S. on the narrow brink of a nuclear apocalypse, Kirkland must pilot his oceangoing exploration ship, Deep Fathom, on a desperate mission miles below the ocean's surface. There devastating secrets await him—and a power an ancient civilization could not contain has been cast out into modern day. And it will forever alter a world that's already racing toward its own destruction.

I think I have made it slightly clear over the last couple hundred posts that I am a bit of a James Rollins fangirl. I had some book credit at the bookstore one day, and an acquaintance was working. I asked her to pick something out for me to read, and she chose James Rollins. I read Amazonia first, and I just was hooked! I love history, and there is a history theme to his books, I love a bit of fantasy, and there is a bit of fantasy. Even if the things that occur in his books could happen, they have not yet. Add in some adventure and a bit of thriller action, and you have James Rollins. Let me say it, he might not mind being compared to Dan Brown, but my Dan Brown books went to the second hand store, James Rollins has a place of honour on my shelves.

I have to say, this one had a slowish start and I was worried that I was not going to finish it, but I did and I was hooked to my seat for the majority of the pages. I have read all of Rollins books except Icehunt, and I have never not liked one. (Review of Black Order, which I am currently finishing up, will be forth-coming). Even some of my other favourite authors have that one book that I just did not like, did not make them less of an author in my eyes, it was just not a book that caught my attention. So far, that has not happened with Rollins.

In this book, we are transported to an underwater world and an ancient civilization. The end of the world is looming, a typical thrillerish plotline, but why the world is near its end and what happens in an attempt to save it will attract readers to the story. Jack Kirkland is an interesting character, he has had a rough past that he is running from, but it always seems to catch up. His shipmates are an interesting assortment of people, and actually one of them is the main character in Black Order. So, I suggest reading Deep Fathom before it.

I think the thing that attracts me so much to Rollins books is the chance to wonder. He finds lost civilizations, ancient cities, and worlds that transport you back in time. He sets his books in places, though, that it could happen. This one, for example, spends a great deal of time underwater. The ocean floor is largely unexplored territory, so it is not impossible for the things that happen to happen.

So, this is another post from the Rollins fangirl! Another interesting book, and I do not even really like books that are classified as thrillers! I think everyone should read Rollins.

Parting Thoughts: Deep Fathom is not officially part of Rollins Sigma series, but I think you should read it before reading Black Order. Not because it is essential, but because Lisa Cummings is in both books. A new book in the Sigma series, The Judas Strain, will be on on July 2, 2007.

Totally Not Important, but I am telling you Anyways: I got all James Rollins old books with the new covers from Harper Collins! Incidently, this was not included, so I intend to buy it so that all my covers match.

3 comments:

  1. I adore his books too! I just bought Black Order at Walmart on sale.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, another fan! I am pretty much done Black Order, and it was a good read. I have to say, though, that I have not liked his Sigma books as much as his standalones, but they are still interesting reads!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book was great. I loved it. It had everything in it, romance, history, adventure, and action. Rollins is such a great writer. This is by far, the best book he has written so far.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

I am so sorry, but I turned anonymous commenting off. I have had it from the very beginning, but that is how the spam is getting by my spam filter at the moment. If it is a big deal I will turn it back on and moderate all comments. I also changed moderation from older than 14 days to older than 7.