Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Giller Award Winner Announced


Somehow, last night I missed the Giller awards on television. It turns out that the station I was watching was advertising them but not actually playing them, which makes me mad. So, last night ended up being 'search the internet to see who won'. Elizabeth Hay won for Late Nights on Air. I was shocked, is probably the best way to look at it. I still have not read Alissa York's book or Vassanji's effort, but I have read Michael Ondaatje and the small press nominee, A Secret Between Us, and I liked both of them better than Late Nights on Air. So, I think it is great that someone new won the Giller this year, and that Vassanji did not get his hat trick, but if I was choosing, she would not have won.

I am interested to see how the Governor General awards play out because Elizabeth Hay did not get nominated for it. Vassanji and Ondaatje battle it out again, the independant book is by David Chariandy (and I doubt it will win.), Barbara Gowdy makes the short list for this one with a book that I do not consider one of her best, and Heather O'Neill makes an appearance with a book for the very first time.

4 comments:

  1. I saw the Giller's on Bravo last night. It was only an hour long, like last year. I wish they would make it for two hours so they can have reading by each author. I think that would really add to it.

    I'm sorry to say I haven't had the chance yet to read any of the short list for this year. I have some catching up to do.

    Teddy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have two more to read. I am hoping to get them all read by the end of the year, but my reading has been slow lately!

    I think two hours would be great too. They have interviews and things on television in the days leading up to the event, but I think it would be nice to have more at the actual show.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Big drag that you ended up missing the broadcast. (Not that I watched it, but it sucks when you look forward to something and miss it.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:01 PM

    I was little surprised by the winner as well.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

I am so sorry, but I turned anonymous commenting off. I have had it from the very beginning, but that is how the spam is getting by my spam filter at the moment. If it is a big deal I will turn it back on and moderate all comments. I also changed moderation from older than 14 days to older than 7.