Friday, November 09, 2007

Rambling on Reading


When people talk about their favourite singers or their favourite actors, I can always chime in because there are people that I enjoy, but I do not have the close connection to the entertainment world that other people do. I know my movie stars, I know a lot of good musicians names and I can sing their songs, but I do not have the strong connection that many people I know have. I also like sports, but it is the same deal. Sometimes I feel left out, like maybe I am missing something. I hate those questions, if you could have dinner with five people living or dead, who would they be, because I never know what to say. That is not to say that I do not have people that I am very interested in. I have done countless projects and essays on famous feminists, and if I really like a person I generally know a lot about them.

My reason for writing this post is to tell a story. One of the people that I have always been interested in is Alexander Graham Bell. I am not even sure why, to be honest. I am not a big phone user, never really have been, but there is something about his life that has always really interested me. I remember watching a video on his life back in elementary school, and I can still recall a lot of the scenes. I actually would not mind tracking it down and watching it again. Someone really should do a movie about him, I think. So, Alexander Graham Bell has always interested me. Not just him, but his wife, she was a really interesting woman. It was not a subject that I had spent a lot of time with in the last few years, though. I tend to like too many periods in history, and I forget about some of them to pursue others. Then, Charlotte Gray came out with her new book: The Passionate Life and Inventive Mind of Alexander Graham Bell. As soon as I heard about it, I knew I was going to have to read it. I just did not get a chance to get it or read it until recently.

Last night I needed something 'different' to read. I searched the ranks of my books searching for the book in my treasures that would be what I needed, and I finally felt it was time to read Gray's book. She is supposed to be a good author, I have looked at several of her books over the years, but when I was in university I had so much reading to do for school, that I did not get a lot of time to read non-fiction. Now that I have graduated, I notice that non-fiction is becoming a major 'genre' for me. So, late last night, way too late to be starting a new book, I crawled under the covers and visited with Alexander Graham Bell. What happened was I read too much and was up way later than I intended, but I already know that Gray's book is going to be a winner for me. I fully intend to read more from her. I will of course be back with a 'real' review, soon, but for now, these are my ramblings on Alexander Graham Bell.

Hope everyone haves a good weekend! It is looking like we might get another storm this weekend, which is pretty normal for good ole' Canada, but Noel was pretty windy and it really tore up the area. Things that did not fall during the first storm might fall during this one, so I am of course thrilled to be without power AGAIN! So, we will see what the storm brings, but if I vanish that is why!

3 comments:

  1. There was a CTV movie years ago about him. I remember watching it but I have no idea what it was called or who was in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gotta love Google!

    The Sound and the Silence (also known as Alexander Graham Bell: The Sound and the Silence and The Sound and the Silence: The Alexander Graham Bell Story), 1992

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always been interested in him as well. When I found out that this book was coming out, I added it to my TBR. I just haven't gooten around to it yet, either.

    I look forward to reading your review when your finished!

    Teddy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

I am so sorry, but I turned anonymous commenting off. I have had it from the very beginning, but that is how the spam is getting by my spam filter at the moment. If it is a big deal I will turn it back on and moderate all comments. I also changed moderation from older than 14 days to older than 7.