Thursday, January 03, 2008

Plans for 2008

I have to be up in 5 hours to get ready for work, but my sleeping habits are so screwed up lately, I cannot get to sleep! So, I thought I would talk about what some of my plans are for 2008. That's sort of boring, though, right, so maybe it will put me to sleep? I do not really do resolutions because I find that I suck at them, so why even bother! These are just the things I am thinking about.

First off, I need to not pressure myself into anything this year. If I want to read a book, I am reading a book. This will be my first year free of school (if I do not decide to go back in September), so it is my first year with no required reading. This means, that while there are thoughts in the back of my mind, I do not have to actually listen to them.

Secondly, I ended the year with so many books not reviewed, it was rather bad. Some were given to me, so I really do still plan to review them, but otherwise I imagine I am just going to start fresh. My hope is to review all the books I read this year, but if I do not, I am not going to feel bad about it. If I get too far behind, I tend to feel daunted by the long list of books that I have not reviewed, so I am going to general posts and mention books more, but that does not mean that everything I read this year will have a review. I read 196 books this year. The thought of how much time it would take me to review all of those scares me, and I really would like to read more.

Thirdly, I have decided to keep Twisted Kingdom. I am not sure what my plans are for it, other than posting fantasy/science-fiction reviews, but I plan to hold on to it. Fantasy is my favourite and it really needs its own blog. At least, that is my story and I am sticking to it. I do know that both of my blogs need a bit of fixing up, so hopefully I will accomplish that this year. Speaking of Twisted Kingdom, I posted my very first read of 2008 on there: The Princes of the Golden Cage by Nathalie Mallet, so head on over there and read it. I started the year off right!

Otherwise, my thoughts are that I would like to finish up some series/trilogies that I have on the go, because the list is getting a bit long. I would like to catch up with some favourite authors that I never got to visit with last year. I have to stay away from the bookstore as much as possible this year! I bought less books last year than the year before, so I have to keep it up. Book cards and things do not count, of course. I have to keep better listings of books because it makes the year end post much easier when I am organized.

These are just thoughts, though. If I accomplish none of this, it will not be a big deal. These are just things I would like to accomplish. Book-related things.

And, it would be nice to reach 200 books or so this year. I used to read that many a few years ago, but I slowed down in university. Now that I am out, it would be fun to reach those numbers, but I also have a life, so like last year I am not making it an official goal. Just a nice thought.

I am probably the only one not saying it, but in terms of what I read. I do not care if I read more classics. I hate most classics that I read anyways. I have my favourites, I might add more to the list, but I am picky! I think I read a good amount of non-fiction this year, so it would be nice to keep it up this year. All I care about is spending time with my fantasy/science fiction authors, reading a fair amount of Canadian literature, reading historical fiction, and otherwise just exploring other genres and authors.

I am still not sleepy. Oh, well.

10 comments:

  1. With no school and all that required reading, I have NO doubt you'll hit 200 books this year. A concept, I must say, that boggles my poor little slow-reading brain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I've read so many of the classics in the past, I have no qualms about indulging myself in my favorite genres: fantasy, mysteries, science fiction.

    I am reading more nonfiction again for the first time in the last five years or so and enjoying it tremendously, but that said -- all must be leavened with pleasure and escape, adventure and imagination!

    One of my goals for this year is to shorten my reviews. I tend to begin thinking I can finish a review quickly, then go on and on. And get behind and frustrated. Can't imagine the situation of having to review 196 books!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 200 books?!!! I wouldn't be at all surprised to see you hit that mark. And great review of The Princes of the Golden Cage. Looks like another book I'll have to pick up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5:17 AM

    Reading 200 books is an amazing feat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck on 200 books. Btw, I gave you an award on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm terrible at completing serial books. I can't think of anything that I haven't quit on. Perhaps LOTR, but since I haven't read the Hobbit, I don't feel like I've completed that one either.

    I linked here from Chris's "MWAH" award. Nice blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely, don't read books just because you feel you 'should.' Life's too short for that! That's why I've never really bothered with most of the classics either.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I must be the only person here who usually thinks 'no wonder this is a classic' when I read one. Good luck on your 200-book goal for 2008! I'm with Debi - I'm barely going to finish my teensy weensy 3-book four-legged friend challenge. But I have to say, I'm glad you thought that one up, because I really enjoyed both of the ones I've read for the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The publicity agent for Night Shade Books is sending me the Mallet book for review. I'm really looking forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome Carl! Look, I am replying to a comment! The sequel is out this summer, I am excited. It was a really good debut book!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

I am so sorry, but I turned anonymous commenting off. I have had it from the very beginning, but that is how the spam is getting by my spam filter at the moment. If it is a big deal I will turn it back on and moderate all comments. I also changed moderation from older than 14 days to older than 7.