Monday, August 04, 2008

A Meme

I rarely - if ever - get tagged for memes anymore, but I thought I would do this one even though I wasn't. Weird, I know,

Do you remember how you developed a love for reading?

I have just always read... Old photos of me I am holding books. My first word was book. I was determined to learn how to read pretty much since I was old enough to hold a book myself. A book is such a common feature with me that my family thinks it is weird when they go days without seeing a book in my hand in some capacity.

What are some books you read as a child?
My reading has not changed a lot now from when I was a child. I sort of skipped young adult books in many cases... I am the worst person to really ask about picture books too. I was read them when I was a kid, but I only remember reading the young reader chapter books for the most part. I have a reading worm from when I was in the first grade, I really should drag it out. When I was in the second grade I was stealing books from my mother, and then the fantasy kicked in. Chronicles of Narnia is probably the book from when I was a kid. For something a bit younger, it would probably be Beatrix Potter. One of her books was given to me when I was born and I have the whole set in these pretty boxed sets. Oh, and Golden Books. I had a lot of those! Otherwise, it was fantasy and science fiction. And I was older (like now) before I went back and read the books I should've been reading back then. I was in a hurry to grow up, I guess.

What is your favorite genre?
Fantasy, of course. I read science fiction, historical fiction, and books by or about Canadians. I also have read a lot of non-fiction this year... memoirs, history, and travelogues with motorcycles involved for whatever reason.

Do you have a favorite novel?
Not just one... Man, even a list is so hard because I read so many books! A favourite I have had for years is A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle. Others include The Chronicles of Narnia, Phantom by Susan Kay, The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield, The Host by Stephenie Meyer... so many!

Where do you usually read?
Wherever I can find a spot. In bed or at work is the common places, but there is really no order to my reading.

When do you usually read?
When I am working, before I go to bed, whenever I have a few minutes to myself and I have a book handy...

Do you usually have more than one book you are reading at a time?
It wouldn't be otherwise!

Do you read nonfiction in a different way or place than you read fiction?
It depends on how readable it is. If it is a bit dry I probably read it slower.

Do you buy most of the books you read, or borrow them, or check them out of the library?
I buy mostly. Or get books from very nice publishers!

Do you keep most of the books you buy? If not, what do you do with them?
I keep most of them, yes.

If you have children, what are some of the favorite books you have shared with them? Were they some of the same ones you read as a child?
No children.

What are you reading now?
The Twisted Citadel by Sara Douglass is my main read right now.

Do you keep a TBR (to be read) list?
I used to, but it is really outdated!

What’s next?
Whatever strikes my mood first...

What books would you like to reread?
That list would be so long!

Who are your favorite authors?
Isabel Allende, Madeleine L'Engle, David Gemmell, Robin Hobb, Sara Douglass, Douglas Coupland, Patricia Briggs, etc...

7 comments:

  1. Madeliene L'Engle is one of my favorites. Douglas Coupland snagged me brilliantly with Girlfriend in a Coma, but then I tried to read one of his other books and it actually bored me. I haven't given up on him. You've read The Host? I missed that review. I'll have to go look. It's on my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting answers. :)

    I definitely got my love of reading from my parents. I was lucky there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was a really fun meme and I enjoyed reading your answers. I always enjoy reading about how others fell in love with reading and what they continue to read today. I still shake my head in sadness when I think of people who don't share our love of the written word. I just cannot fathom a life without reading stories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. bookfool: Always nice to find another L'Engle fan. She's a great author! You know, Coupland is not an author I can really predict or recommend. I lent one of his books to two people and one of them loved it and the other hated it, but they still both are in the process of getting through his collection. Something about him catches you and keeps you hooked.

    Heather: Neither of my parents are big readers... They read to us as children, but it is very rare for me to see a book in their hands.

    carl: I cannot imagine not reading either. It is just something that has always been there for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed reading your answers. I'm curious about Sara Douglass. I've heard very good things about her from you and some others. And I really look forward to finally reading The Thirteenth Tale for RIP this year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous6:11 PM

    I'm really bad at meme's but this one looks kind of fun. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was fun!! As a person that LOVES books, I like to see how others got interested in them as well. I'm right there with Carl. I can't imagine not having books in my life!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

I am so sorry, but I turned anonymous commenting off. I have had it from the very beginning, but that is how the spam is getting by my spam filter at the moment. If it is a big deal I will turn it back on and moderate all comments. I also changed moderation from older than 14 days to older than 7.