I just wanted to take this opportunity to wish everyone a Happy New Year!
Anyone have any big plans for the evening? I did, but now we are supposed to have a blizzard! So, I have no idea what I am doing. I was really looking forward to tonight, too, so this is not a very cheery thought. The last part of 2008 was not very great for me, so I was hoping to start 2009 off right. That being said, 2008 started off really well and then sort of fizzled. Maybe it is better if you start the year off snowed in?
Anyway, because I am feeling rather uncheery right now, I am going to see if I can come up with a list of good things about 2008.
1. Trip to Lunenburg. I went to Lunenburg in August with the charming comedian and we actually had a really good time! It is not exactly an exotic trip location (well, for me anyway), but it was nice to get away and spend some time together! We still bring it up and talk about the things that we did, so I am happy with it... Which leads to number two...
2. Finally getting to go for a ride on the Bluenose Schooner. I have taken the tour a bunch of times, but I could never find anyone to go with me! The charming comedian had gone before, but he agreed to go again. I wish it had been a nicer day, but this was something I can cross off the list of 'Things I Wanted to Experience in Life'.
3. Going to Cape Breton. I am not very close to my mother's family. I only see them every few years, so, it was actually pretty nice to get away and see them all. Will they ever return the favour? Probably not. Have we started talking a lot more since? Nope! For that one weekend, though, we acted like we were related, so it was nice. I have my memories, and since my grandfather is not getting any younger, it is very possible that I will never see him again.
4. Reunion of Friends. One of my best friends came home from Alberta this summer and I went to my home town and visited for three days. When I was there, I saw her and two of my other really good friends. Then, we ended up meeting up in Halifax at a later date while she was home. One of the other people from the home town visit was there and then another one of the group. If you are not following, there are five of us (including me) and that was the closest we have been to all being together in years. I am hoping next time we might be able to coordinate five...
5. The funny stories. As I have said countless times... the charming comedian is really random and says the strangest things! I honestly don't think I have laughed as much as I have laughed this year! He said something last night (which could have been taken several ways) and he said 'Thank god you have a sense of humour!' In other words, I chose to laugh at it. I have to say, the chair breaking was by far one of my best memories of the year. I wasn't there for it, but the story... We have been chair browsing lately, and, I have to admit, I can't help but giggle when he is weighing the different options!
6. My cellphone. I swore I would never get one, but I did, and I have to say that despite the fact that it is a piece of junk and keeps breaking on me, I am glad I got it. Through text-messaging, I have reconnected with people that I haven't talked to in years. I still am not a big fan of it, but it serves its purpose.
7. Just Us! Mexican Morning coffee. I am not a big coffee drinker, but I had that earlier in the year and now I love it! And, it is Fair Trade coffee, which is always a good thing.
8. Good television shows. This year I watched all the seasons of Soap. That show went downhill, but it was funny in the first couple seasons! I finally got around to watching Heroes. I will probably be watching the second season soon. Rome. I always saw bits and pieces of that when it was on, so I was happy to watch the first season from start to finish. I was very happy to find out today that I also have the second season, so I will be interested to see where they go! Then, there are shows I have liked all along: CSI, House, and NCIS.
9. All the people I have met this year. I work in the customer service industry so I am always meeting new people. It is the best thing about my job!
10. Reading and blogging. I was rather slack in both this year, but what I did accomplish was great! I also enjoyed meeting new bloggers and getting to know ones I have known for a while better.
Okay, that was actually really hard! I suppose a given one is friends and family. Now, I have to go see if I can rouse the charming comedian (it's 1 in the afternoon) and figure out what I am doing tonight!
HAPPY NEW YEAR!