Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Movie Review: Alien vs. Predator and Alien vs. Predator: Requiem


Since I had watched the first two movies in the quartet, I figured it only made sense to watch the rest. Am I a little bit cultured because I have finally watched them now, do you think?

"It may be our planet, but it’s their war!" The deadliest creatures from the scariest sci-fi movies ever made face off for the first time on film. The incredible adventure begins when the discovery of an ancient pyramid buried in Antarctica sends a team of scientists and adventurers to the frozen continent. There, they make an even more terrifying discovery: two alien races engaged in the ultimate battle. Whoever wins...we lose.
I have to say, I was a bit captivated by this movie when I found out it took place in a pyramid 2000 feet underground in Antartica. Not only that, but it shows signs of several different types of ancient civilizations and how they constructed their pyramids. The theory in the movie is that this an example of the very first civilization before they broke up into the individual societies that are more well-known today. I could care less that this the movie where the Aliens and the Predators face-off! But, at its core, that is what the movie is about! It wasn't a terrible movie, but it was not something that blew me away.

Then, there was Alien vs. Predator: Requiem. I cannot find a description easily online and I am not typing out the back of the box! The short reply? I hated this movie! Movies use darkness as an effect, fine. This movie is almost entirely in darkness, which resulted in me not knowing what was going on for most of the movie. People would die and I would have no idea who they were. A 'creature' would appear and I wouldn't know if it was an Alien or a Predator. I spent more time trying to see through the darkness than anything else. In the end, I just found it annoying! The first movie wasn't the best thing ever, but it was way better than this movie!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

I am so sorry, but I turned anonymous commenting off. I have had it from the very beginning, but that is how the spam is getting by my spam filter at the moment. If it is a big deal I will turn it back on and moderate all comments. I also changed moderation from older than 14 days to older than 7.