Saturday, January 10, 2009

Movie Review: Silence of the Lambs


In this multiple Oscar-winning thriller, Jodie Foster stars as Clarice Starling, a top student at the FBI's training academy whose shrewd analyses of serial killers lands her a special assignment: the FBI is investigating a vicious murderer nicknamed Buffalo Bill, who kills young women and then removes the skin from their bodies. Jack Crawford (Scott Glenn) wants Clarice to interview Dr. Hannibal Lecter (Anthony Hopkins), a brilliant psychiatrist who is also a violent psychopath, serving life behind bars for various acts of murder and cannibalism. Crawford believes that Lecter may have insight into this case and that Starling, as an attractive young woman, may be just the bait to draw him out. Lecter does indeed know something of Buffalo Bill, but his information comes with a price: in exchange for telling what he knows, he wants to be housed in a more comfortable facility. More important, he wants to speak with Clarice about her past. He skillfully digs into her psyche, forcing her to reveal her innermost traumas and putting her in a position of vulnerability when she can least afford to be weak. The film mingles the horrors of criminal acts with the psychological horrors of Lecter's slow-motion interrogation of Clarice and of her memories that emerge from it.
This movie was probably still relatively new when I watched it last, so I found that I only had a hazy recollection about how the story was going to play out. Thrillers are not really my type of movie, but I have been known watch a few here and there. Anthony Hopkins plays a good Hannibal Lecter. In many ways, he really makes the movie. Jodie Foster is good in this movie too, but she is an actress that I can take or leave. I do think she plays Clarice very well, though. This is a good series. I have seen at least one of the sequels, but I honestly cannot remember which one anymore.

12 comments:

  1. This was a well designed movie that really kept you on the edge of your seat. I can't remember the name of the following, but it too was good. One of the few that movies of this type that I've actually enjoyed watching. It really makes one think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:15 PM

    i agree with you, the acting is really good.

    i absolutely loved it. apart from hannibal and clarice i also liked buffalo bill a lot - i thought he was really realistically (and chillingly) portrayed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Besides Anthony Hopkins - one of my favorite, favorite actors - and Jodie Foster, whom my husband just loves, I'm also a big fan of Scott Glenn. What's with the lack of Scott Glenn, lately?

    ...I'm creeping up behind you, Kailana...Tag! You're it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just checked Scott Glenn on IMDB. I guess it's just been me not seeing the films he's been in lately...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Omah: I can't remember the name of the following either, but I would like to watch it!

    jp: I agree with you! Buffalo Bill was super creepy!

    Julia: I am not sure about Scott Glenn. I am not good with actor names, I am afraid.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like this movie and also enjoyed the book. I think the next movie was Hannibal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this movie! Thrillers are probably my favorite kind of movie, and this one is definitely well done. I agree with JP, Buffalo Bill just totally creeped me out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amy: You're right. I think that is the one I saw. I am going to try and watch the whole series.

    Debi: Yeah, he was creepy... I also liked the dog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. how strange, i left a comment and blogspot gave me an error..

    anyway, I love this movie! I watch it every time it comes on television!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have problems with comments on my blog all the time. I know I leave replies, but when I go back to answer someone else on the thread, they are not there. Not sure what is up with that!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd love to re-watch and re-read all of these someday.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I plan to try and watch the rest of them in the not too distant future.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

I am so sorry, but I turned anonymous commenting off. I have had it from the very beginning, but that is how the spam is getting by my spam filter at the moment. If it is a big deal I will turn it back on and moderate all comments. I also changed moderation from older than 14 days to older than 7.