Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Challenge Progress Report

I figured since I can't seem to catch up on my reviews lately, I would at least see where I stand with all the challenges I belong to!

2nd Canadian Book Challenge, Eh?
Runs from July 1, 2008 to July 1, 2009
Objective: Read 13 books of any sort, as long as they are connected to Canada
Challenge Status: Finished a while ago! Still should read more Canadian authors, though.
1.Traveling Music by Neil Peart
2. Eleanor Rigby by Douglas Coupland
3. Don't Lets Go to the Dogs Tonight by Alexandra Fuller
4. The Flying Troutmans by Miriam Toews
5. Lord Beaverbrook by David Adams Richards
6. Coventry by Helen Humphreys
7. Jolted by Arthur Slade
8. The Cellist of Sarajevo by Steven Galloway
9. Conceit by Mary Novik
10. What They Wanted by Donna Morrissey
11. Barnacle Love by Anthony De Sa
12. Personal Demon by Kelley Armstrong
13. The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson
14. I Was a Child of Holocaust Survivors by Bernice Eisenstein
15. Santa Claus: A Biography by Gerry Bowler
16. Cats I Have Known and Loved by Pierre Berton
17. Louis Riel: A Comic Book Biography by Chester Brown
18.Turtle Valley by Gail Anderson-Dargatz
19. one good story, this one by Thomas King
20. Men of the Otherword by Kelley Armstrong
21. Only in Canada, You Say: A Treasury of Canadian Language by Katherine Barber
22. The Unwritten Girl by James Bow


Series Challenge Season 3
Runs from December 1, 2008 to November 30, 2009
Objective: Read 4 books that will finish series you all ready have in progress.
Challenge Status: 2/4 - It's easy to say I am going to finish a series when I only have one book left to read in it, but even though I have been working on series like the Maisie Dobbs one, I am not counting them for the challenge until I am entirely caught up. By November, hopefully this list will be a lot longer!
1.Mercy Thompson Series - Book 4 - Bone Cross by Patricia Briggs
2.Grave Goods: A Mistress of the Art of Death Novel by Ariana Franklin (review forth-coming)
3.
4.


Deweys Books Reading Challenge
Runs from January 1, 2009 to December 31, 2009
Objective: Read five books that Dewey read over the years.
Challenge Status: 7/5 - Challenge completed, but I plan to read more!
1. The Road by Cormac McCarthy
2. The Virgin Blue by Tracy Chevalier
3. The Uncommon Reader by Alan Bennett
4. Looking for Alaska by John Green
5. American Born Chinese by Gene Luch Yang
6. An Abundance of Katherines by John Green (review forth-coming)
7. Paper Towns by John Green (review forth-coming)

The Sci-Fi Experience
Runs from January 1, 2009 to February 28, 2009
Objective: Read sci-fi books
Challenge Status: Read five books. Had hoped to read more but they still haven't came in at the library for me.
1. The Time Traveler's Wife
2. The Starry Rift
3. Uglies
4. The Gathering Blue
5.Pretties (review forth-coming)


New Author Challenge
Runs from January 1, 2009 to December 31, 2009
Objective: Challenged myself to read 10 new-to-me authors.
Challenge Status: 20/10. Completed but still going to keep track.
1.Hiro Mashima
2.Barbara Randall Kesel
3.Bill Willingham
4. Art Spiegelman
5. David Wolman
6. Jon & Kate Gosselin
7. Katherine Barber
8. John Green
9. Gene Luch Yang
10. David Michaelis
11. James Bow
12. Scott Westerfeld
13. Ellen Hopkins
14. Carrie Vaughn
15. Edith Pattou
16. Queenie Chan
17. Trenton Lee Stewart
18. Christine Fletcher
19. Melissa Marr
20. Linda Medley


2009 Pub Challenge
Runs from January 1, 2009 to December 31, 2009
Objective: Read 9 books published in 2009.
Challenge Status: 3/9.
1. Men of the Otherworld 01/27/09
2. Bone Crossed 02/03/09
3. Grave Goods 02/17/09 (review forth-coming)
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.


Rhinoa's Manga Challenge
Runs from January 1, 2009 to December 31, 2009
Objective: Read 6 Manga Novels.
Challenge Status: 6/6. Challenge Completed. Plan to read more, though.
1. Fairy Tail - Volume 1
2. Fairy Tail - Volume 2
3. Legends of the Dark Crystal - Volume 1
4. The Dreaming Vol 1
5. The Dreaming Vol 2
6. The Dreaming Vol 3


Graphic Novel Challenge
Runs from January 1, 2009 to December 31, 2009
Objective: Challenged myself to read 6.
Challenge Status: 14/6. Challenge completed. Plan to read more, though.
1.Fables Volume 1: Legends in Exile
2.Fables Volume 2: Animal Farm
3. The Book of Ballads
4. Maus - Volume 1: My Father Bleeds History
5. Maus - Volume 2: And Here My Troubles Began
6. Fables - Volume 3: Storybook Love
7. Fables - Volume 4: March of the Wooden Soldiers
8. Fables - Volume 5: The Mean Seasons
9. Fables -Volume 6: Homelands
10. Fables: Volume 7: Arabian Nights (And Days)
11. American Born Chinese by Gene Luch Yang
12. Fables - Volume 8: Wolves
13. Fables - Volume 9: Sons of Empire
14. Castle Waiting


2009 Themed Reading Challenge
Runs from February 1, 2009 to July 31, 2009
Objective: Read 4 sci-fi/fantasy books published before 2008.
Challenge Status: 0/4. I have read books that count, but they came from the library.
1.
2.
3.
4
.

14 comments:

  1. That is what you've read just THIS year? HOLY COW!!!! You put us all the shame!! How do you find the time?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go Kelly! You're doing great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are doing really good! I bet you finish your challenges.

    I was sort of doing good but have stalled on all. Ah well, it's still fun to join. We'll see how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy: Well, the Canadian Challenge I read most of those last year, but for the others, yes, this year... I have no idea where I find the time. I have been asking myself the same question lately, actually.

    Nymeth: Thanks. :)

    Iliana: If I don't jump right on and work on the challenges, I find that I sort of start to forget about them and then I don't finish them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Goodness, you are in a LOT of challenges. I tried doing those in 2006 (a year when I actually read several books), I think, but I just couldn't keep up. I think I did the TBR and the Chunkster ones, hoping that some of the books for one could work for the other. And then, promptly, I lost all desire to read chunky books. Of course!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aarti: If I make a list, I never follow it, so I just don't make a list! I keep my rules very loose, too, because I still want to read for fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Goodness! Wow! You go girl! I've only read 23 books so far this year and only half of those fit the challenges I signed up for this year *sigh* lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tink: Thanks! This is the best reading year I have had since I was little... I doubt it will last. I tend to start to get burned out after a while, but in the meantime I am taking advantage of it. :) And, I think it is important to read for fun and not just for challenges. That's what reading is supposed to be all about!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kailana - your reading speed makes my head spin like Regan's from 'The Exorcist'. What the...?!?

    Actually, readers who gobble books like you do make it all worth while when writers want to take a long walk off a short pier, when things aren't working and we wonder why, why did we ever want to write...?!?

    Good to see Neil Peart's book on your Canadian challenge list. He's my sister's fave drummer/philosophical writer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Julia: lol. Well, I have had a lot more spare time on my hands than I am used to, I guess! Since I am worried it won't last I have been trying to read a lot! There are still plenty of books I really want to get to and haven't, so hopefully the reading level remains with me until the grave... and probably passed it too! I like to believe in reincarnation just so I can read all the books in my next life that I haven't read in this one... Mostly just kidding on that. lol And, I LOVE Neil Peart. I wish he would come out with another book soon. I have one more to read, but I don't want to rush (ha) because then I won't have anything else left to read by him...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous11:54 AM

    Wow that's a lot of books.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bluestocking: Yep! Looks that way, anyways.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sheesh girl, how do you do it?!! I'm as green (though certainly not as beautiful) as your lovely fairy! I would hate to see what my progress looked like all summed up in one place like that...quite pathetic, I'm sure. Congrats on all that fine reading!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Debi: haha, there is nothing wrong with your reading. :) You have three kids, something that I do not have! Thanks, though.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

I am so sorry, but I turned anonymous commenting off. I have had it from the very beginning, but that is how the spam is getting by my spam filter at the moment. If it is a big deal I will turn it back on and moderate all comments. I also changed moderation from older than 14 days to older than 7.