Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Rose by Jeff Smith


Books Completed: 70
Completion Date: March, 2009
Pages: 160
Publication Date: March 15, 2002

Reason for Reading: New Author Challenge, Graphic Novel Challenge
The hit comic book mini-series "Rose" now comes to you in a single handsome package with a brand-new cover! Released over a yearlong period to rave reviews (and an Eisner nomination for best painter), the "Bone" prequel by Jeff Smith and Charles Vess can now be read as it was originally intended - as one massive epic. In the old days, when "BONE'S" Gran'ma Ben was a teenager, a terrifying dragon laid siege to the small towns of the Northern Valley. Unknown to Princess Rose (young Gran'ma Ben), the strange dragon is actually the minion of the Ancient Enemy called the Lord of the Locust. Unable to defeat the monster, Rose seeks the advice of her advisor, who tells the young princess how to destroy the dragon - but at a terrible cost.
There were a lot of steps along the path that lead to me reading this book. First, Debi reviewed it and brought it to my attention, then I read about it in Alice in Sunderland, and then I decided I really need to try Jeff Smith and found that I would be number twenty in the waiting list for Bones. I think I will probably end up buying Bones, but this book I could check-out right away. It is actually a prequel to the hit series. Rose in this series goes on to be Gran'ma Ben in the hit series. I am sure that means something, but since I haven't read the 'hit' series yet, I have no idea who she is!

I enjoyed this book. Rose was a very engaging heroine. She is a little bit of a wild child, but she has amazing powers. Most importantly she has the ability to see things in her dreams, which is what foreshadows the adventures that she is about to have. In the book, Rose has to kill a dragon, but at a terrible cost. I have to admit that I rather hated the ending... Not that it wasn't good; just that I didn't want it to end that way! I suppose it is the mark of a good book, though, when you are so engaged in the characters that you don't want to see terrible things happen to them. Also in the story are Rose's two dogs. Rose has the ability to talk with them, which adds to the story. Her advisor is a dragon, which I thought was cool considering she is on a mission to kill another dragon. Then, there is her sister, who is very jealous and not at all what she appears to be. Sibling rivalry makes a good story element, I guess!

Couple the story with the fact that Charles Vess does the artwork and you have a great read ahead of you!

16 comments:

  1. I need to read this one so bad! I always get excited when there's a book that Charles Vess illustrated out there that I haven't read yet. I noticed it in Alice in Sunderland too! I got excited at that part :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked it, Chris. Hopefully you get a chance to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no idea why I don't own Rose. I love Bone and I love Charles Vess' artwork. It should be a natural thing for me to have a copy of this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:23 AM

    ditto with carl. i like boney and vess. this seems great! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carl: I think it was a bit hard to come by for a while there. Seems to me Nymeth was saying it was, anyway.

    JP: I really need to read Bones...

    ReplyDelete
  6. "I am sure that means something, but since I haven't read the 'hit' series yet, I have no idea who she is!"...LOL, that was my reaction exactly! And it was in Alice in Sunderland that I first heard of this book. And as soon as I finished it, I immediately went and ordered Bone. Of course, I still haven't read it. Anyway, I'm so glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Debi: Well, I requested 'Bones' from the library right afterwards, but the wait list is crazy! So, now I am going to have to buy at some point and time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've seen it at comic shows in the past and just never picked it up. Maybe I'll see it on the cheap at the comic show this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have Bone on the April pile, and I'll be getting this as soon as I'm done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Carl: I hope you enjoy it!

    Nymeth: I wonder if I can get a copy of Bones quickly, we could read it together.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous12:54 PM

    It sounds great! I've been wanting to read this one for awhile now!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Vasilly: I enjoyed it! I hope you do too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like an interesting power to have. I hate when I find a story (even if it is a graphic novel) I like but I don't enjoy the ending :(

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tink: Well, it wasn't that the ending was bad... It was just... not my kind of ending! It made sense in the story, though, I suppose

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous9:39 AM

    It does sound good. I will look out for it and Bone. I do like CHarles Vess.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Rhinoa: I really like Charles Vess too! I hope to get Bones eventually

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

I am so sorry, but I turned anonymous commenting off. I have had it from the very beginning, but that is how the spam is getting by my spam filter at the moment. If it is a big deal I will turn it back on and moderate all comments. I also changed moderation from older than 14 days to older than 7.