Monday, October 05, 2009

Music Munday: The Empowerment of Music

Much of what has been discussed on Music Mondays is the power of music – how it can single-handedly affect your mood or set the tone for the day depending on that first song you hear in the morning. What isn’t always discussed is how music can change your life.
Four years ago, I was on the cusp of my thirties with two young children, a husband who had moved us all over the world, and a history of low-paying, entry position jobs because of our frequent moves. I knew I was smarter and definitely capable of much more than I had accomplished to date, so my frustration levels were extremely high.
About this same time, I discovered the Twilight series and started investigating Stephenie Meyer a bit more. I was fascinated by her playlists she had for each book and how music could have such an influence on her. I also read quite a bit about Muse, her favorite band. So, I started with one or two songs I had heard on the radio.

Before I knew it, I was completely and unequivocally hooked on Muse. They are absolutely my favorite band.
Now, I love music, always have and always will. But I’d never gone all fan-girl on any band to the point where I bought all their music or hunted down articles. I didn’t put up any pictures or posters on my childhood bedroom walls when growing up. I haven’t been to many concerts. I liked music, but I never loved a band…until Muse. I turned to them when I was at a low point in my life, depressed about how little I had gotten done in my first thirty years, upset about the baby weight that still clung to me, and concerned about my future prospects. Because we had just made another move, I didn’t have any close friends, and my husband’s job kept him working late hours. Discovering Muse and their music made me feel inspired; it was the first time in my life that I had gone away from the mainstream radio hits and discovered something that made me feel alive.

Their music gets the blood pumping, and their lyrics are powerful and inspirational.

Within a few months, I started running to their music. I hate running, but I could do it when they were playing on my iPod. I became even more serious about my graduate studies and started having discussions with my manager about what I wanted to do with my career. As I started feeling better and becoming more comfortable with me, opportunities started falling into my lap. My dead-end job disappeared, and my future prospects are unlimited. I have responsibility, authority, and respect whereas before I was literally an unknown. I have fabulous friends who I can and have called in a pinch and who have supported me unequivocally. I love who I am and I am loving life, living it to its fullest. I didn’t have this before I started discovering this little band from Teigenmouth, England.

Muse was my muse. They changed my life. They gave me the freedom to discover my individuality and accept me as I am, at a time when I didn’t like me very much. They empowered me to stand up for myself and for my beliefs. They gave me the strength to be me. “No one’s going to take me alive.” Absolutely.


Thanks, Kelly, for letting me gush about my favorite band!!


16 comments:

  1. Great story, Michelle, that was inspiring. I never heard of them before. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Chris! Check them out and let me know what you think!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are rather catchy, aren't they? I don't think I've ever searched out playlists mentioned in books before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kristen - Actually, these were playlists that Stephenie had posted on her official website, along with cut scenes and other goodies. Since music is such a huge influence on what she writes, she lists the music that she listened to while writing the books. You'll see that they fit the books perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post, Michelle!! I have liked Muse for years. One of the bands my brother turned me on to. Gotta love it!!

    Kelly, you got a great guest post this week!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Stephanie! I feel it is my duty to spread the word on this great band. The rest of the world realizes their genius. Now Americans just need to catch on!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great post! I've only recently discovered Muse and am completely addicted to their sound. I love 'em.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Les - Woohoo!! They are great, aren't they? We need to spread the word to others so that they can come back on a solo tour in 2010!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Funny, I was just musing (haha :P) about needing to find good workout music to put on my iPod. My older son happens to be a fan of Muse, so now I'm going to check them out!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Valerie - I know you'll find some good tunes from their playlist!! Let me know what you find!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay for comments! People tend to seem scared to say anything on these music posts. Glad you got some response, Michelle. I am going to get you to post again! lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, Kelly! Just let me know when, and I would be happy to do so. Think I could get away with posting more about Muse? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh man! Somehow I missed this and just wrote the nearly exact same post for my Music Munday coming up this week. Well, I'm glad I saw this first, and have now deleted mine and will think of new band to gush about! Too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Michelle: lol, probably! Depends on how much time was in between.

    Suey: I enjoy the fact that you guys both wrote about the same band! I apparently need to listen to them in some depth.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Suey - That IS too funny! I would love to hear your story though. I feel like until they become more popular over here, us Muse fans need to stay together and get the word out!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well, my story isn't cool like yours. I just started listening to them because of Stephenie Meyer and then totally fell in love. And got to see them in concert which was AMAZING. But I do still have my post, and perhaps we can use it at a later date. We'll see.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

I am so sorry, but I turned anonymous commenting off. I have had it from the very beginning, but that is how the spam is getting by my spam filter at the moment. If it is a big deal I will turn it back on and moderate all comments. I also changed moderation from older than 14 days to older than 7.