Saturday, January 15, 2011

Muppet Robin Hood by Tim Beedle (And, a movie review...)

Muppet Robin Hood by Tim Beedle & company

Date Completed: January 11, 2010
Reason for Reading: Just for fun!
The Muppets tell the Robin Hood legend for laughs, and it’s the reader who will be merry! Robin Hood (Kermit the Frog) joins with the Merry Men — Sherwood Forest’s inf
amous gang of misfit outlaws — to take on the stuffy Sheriff of Muppetham (Sam the Eagle) and the wicked Gonzo of Gisbourne! Features a cover from David Petersen, the Eisner Award-winning creator of Mouse Guard!
I was catching up some blog reading and I happened to notice on Becky's, from Becky's Book Reviews, post wrapping up the Graphic Novel Challenge that she had read classic stories retold with the Muppets in graphic novel format. I was curious... Even the cc was curious. Off to the library website I went and they actually had a few of them. I can sum up my thoughts very easily: This book was really fun, but nothing amazing. I laughed a few times and enjoyed the retelling of the story with Kermit and friends. The cc read a bit over my shoulder and he thinks they should make a movie. I plan to read whatever other ones the library has just for fun.
Then, in one of those weird twists of fate, the movie that we had planned to watch last night was Robin Hood: Men in Tights.
Cary Elwes stars as Robin Hood, the dashing defender of the down-trodden, who along
with his merry men and Maid Marion, resides in Sherwood Forest. There they have
become together to fight against the seriously neurotic Prince John, the not quite-evil Sheriff of Rottingham, and the mad scorceress Latrine.
This was a fun movie! I am pretty sure I have seen it before, but if I did it was a while ago. I just love the movie. I think anything that Mel Brooks does is sure to be an entertainment not easily forgotten. It is just so random that you think it is going to be really bad, but it all works together so well. I mean, picture a bunch of men dressed in tights doing a dance number about how they are manly men. I laughed for a while at that scene. The movie still keeps to the basic story, but adds humour and entertainment, of course.

The characters were casted really well. Cary Elwes also plays Westley in The Princess Bride. The movies reminded me a lot of each other, actually. I think William Goldman and Mel Brooks have the same creative minds in a way. Then, at the end of the movie Patrick Stewart appears as King Richard. I enjoyed that immensely. We were watching the opening credits and kept saying, oh, he is going to be funny and thoughts along those lines. It has a great cast of really funny people. It's a cheesy movie, I am not going to lie, but it is great for a laugh and is easily a movie you can watch over and over again. Now that I remember seeing it, I am going to make sure to add it to the few movies I do rewatch. So, if you are one of very few people, I am sure, that haven't seen this movie... Watch it!

*** I think I might keep track of what I watch in 2011 over on the sidebar and review from time to time. While I love reading, the cc is a TV/movie person. So, when he is around we tend to watch a lot of stuff. When he is not around I hardly even turn the TV on!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

I am so sorry, but I turned anonymous commenting off. I have had it from the very beginning, but that is how the spam is getting by my spam filter at the moment. If it is a big deal I will turn it back on and moderate all comments. I also changed moderation from older than 14 days to older than 7.