Saturday, February 19, 2011

Six Sentence Saturday


Welcome to Six Sentence Saturday.
Where I try to express my thoughts on recent reads using only 6 sentences!!!!.
At the end of each review I will post a
rating scale of 1-5 using the cute and original (lol) Playing Cards.
Rating scale will be as follows:
5 of Hearts- You must read this book NOW!!
4 of Hearts- A great read, put it on your TBR list.
3 of Hearts- Glad I read but no big deal
2 of Hearts- Why did I finish this?
Joker Card - Don't bother (why did I?)

When I borrowed the Serenity comics the other day, there were also The Guild comics in
the same plastic protection.
Internet phenomenon The Guild comes to comics, courtesy of series creator, writer, and star Felicia Day (Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog)! Chronicling the hilarious on- and offline lives of a group of Internet role-playing gamers, the Knights of Good, The Guild has become a cult hit, and is the winner of numerous awards from SXSW, YouTube, Yahoo, and the Streamys. Now, Day brings the wit and heart of the show to this graphic-novel prequel. In this origin tale of the Knights of Good, we learn about Cyd's life before joining the guild, how she became Codex, her awful breakup with boyfriend Trevor, and how she began to meet the other players who would eventually become her teammates.
The Guild Volume 1 by Felicia Day & Jim Rugg

This was a good introduction to the series. In it you meet the characters and get introduced to the back story. Cyd was a very interesting character, but a little troubled and when nothing else seems to work becomes Codex on a computer game. Cyd is a familiar character with a bad relationship, insecurities, and a need to please everyone. It was an enjoyable little read and sets you up for more fun from the series in the later books. I enjoyed spending time with Cyd because she was a very compelling character and the other characters we are introduced to all have their fun qualities.

The Guild Issue 2 by Felicia Day & Jim Rugg

In this issue we meet some of the characters that will play a major part in the overall story. Zaboo is normally pretty funny and is surprised when Cyd is actually a girl. Vork is the 'hard ass' character who plays to escape issues in his real world and has lots of rules about game playing. Bladezz is funny when up again another character, Tinkerballa. Tinkerballa is a bit of a hard ass and doesn't let anyone mess around with her. Then, there is Clara who has lots of children and plays video games to escape from her crazy life and is very funny in the process.

The Guild Issue 3 by Felicia Day & Jim Rugg

One of the reasons I was interested in this series is because Felicia Day is a member of the Joss Whedon 'alumni' having been in both Buffy The Vampire Slayer (which I haven't really watched) and Dr. Horrible (which I loved). Jim Rugg is the artist of Plain Jane and Janes in Love, so this is a fantastically illustrated graphic novel. By now the characters are becoming a bit more familiar and starting to have personalities of their own, but we also get to know Cyd a lot better. Her psychiatrist thinks that she needs to make friends in the 'real' world, but when that doesn't work out she becomes more and more involved in gaming world. Not a series that I expected to enjoy, but I ended up really liking it!

The Guild: Vork by Felicia Day, Jim Lewis, & Company

This is a single edition about Vork, who is one of the players that Cyd plays with in her game. He is a bit of a strange character, but not a lot is really known about him and the motives behind the person that he is. This comic explains his home situation and what he has to deal with on a regular basis that would lead him to this online world. It was actually an entertaining comic be
cause Vork's grandfather was pretty funny. Overall, it was a fun look at Vork and you can't help feeling a bit bad for him, but at least you can appreciate him for who he is. It made me want to see more from him and the other characters eventually.






These comics are prequels to a television show available online and on DVD. I find myself very curious about it, but it is on the 4th season online right now, so I will have to wait until I can find the first three. Worth looking into, though!

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like an interesting series. Never heard of it or the tv series till now. Hmmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I have never heard of it, either, but now I am curious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was looking something up the other day and discovered that Felicia Day was one of the Potentials on season 7 of Buffy. Really need to check out her show...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tink: I knew she had something to do with Buffy. She was also the main female role in Dr. Horrible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh, I love The Guild, though haven't read the comic books. You should be able to see the first three seasons on their YouTube channel, which is linked on their official website (watchtheguild.com).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Court: Oh, really? I will have to check it out. I was on there for a moment, but I didn't explore a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Guild is awesome! And yes, you can watch them all free online. If you have an XBox360 they are all available free through Zune in High Definition.

    Such a fun geek show. Felicia Day is such a geek girl. Cannot help but be a big fan.

    ReplyDelete
  8. *Carl: Sounds good! I am going to try and start watching it soon!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

I am so sorry, but I turned anonymous commenting off. I have had it from the very beginning, but that is how the spam is getting by my spam filter at the moment. If it is a big deal I will turn it back on and moderate all comments. I also changed moderation from older than 14 days to older than 7.