Tuesday, May 03, 2011

The Shadow Hunt by Katherine Langrish

The Shadow Hunt by Katherine Langrish

Completion Date: April 6, 2011
Reason for Reading: Buddy read with JenClair
Wolf is on the run—from the oppressive monastery where he was raised, from the ghosts and demons that haunt the windswept moors of Devil's Edge, and from the shadows in the landscape that resemble the Devil himself.

When Wolf rescues a strange child on Devil's Edge, he takes her to a grand castle hoping to win the favor of its ruler. There he strikes up an unlikely friendship with a girl named Nest, and he thinks he's finally found a place to call home. Wolf is determined to fit in, but not everything is as it seems at the castle. Dark forces are conspiring against Wolf and Nest, and a sinister enemy is looming closer than they could ever realize.

With lies masquerading as reality, will Wolf and Nest learn who they can trust . . . before it's too late?

Critically acclaimed author Katherine Langrish has created a wonderfully spooky and richly imagined world of ghosts and magical creatures, where good may be evil and light may give way to dark.
Today is a buddy read with JenClair from A Garden Carried in the Pocket. It ended up with her asking questions and we both answering because I couldn't really think of anything else to ask. You can read my answers here and then head to her blog for her opinion.

What age group do you think the novel would most appeal to and why?
I am all for young adult lately, but I found this book too young for me. It was good, different from the norm, but I found I had a hard time getting into things. I really think this was more the age and less the writing. This book would like appeal to the age group right below the young adult range, but those older can probably appreciate it, too.

What did you think of the way Langrish handled the treatment of the Church?
The church plays a large role in this book. I have to admit that I am not a huge fan of books that have religion play a big part. I think that this book, though, handled it rather well. She didn't really pick a side. There were characters that considered every aspect of religion to be the truth, but then there were other characters that found aspects of it suspect. It made for a nice balance. It also shows the battle between older religious beliefs and the arrival of Christianity.

Who was your favorite character and why?
The book contained a good assortment of characters. There was Nest, for example, who wanted more for her life than a marriage and lots of children. She pushed the boundaries of what was 'normal' for her time, but she also wanted to do right by her father. I also liked the elements of the supernatural included in the book. There was Hob, for example. He lived in the fireplace and added elements of humour when the story was getting a bit bogged down.

Do you think most YA readers would understand Hugo's obsession? Nest's resignation to her prospective marriage?
I am not sure. I think it was probably explained to a degree that they would have the background to understand, but if you haven't gone through it yourself you may not entirely grasp the situation. This would apply to adults, too, though. While people may not entirely be able to relate to the situations, I think they could still understand.

How did you feel about Langrish's use of folk lore and fairy tale?
If there wasn't a mixture of folklore and fairy tale in the book, I probably never would have read it. And, if I had, I wouldn't have enjoyed it. The overall story was good, but addition of characters like elves and Hobs added to the book and made it more enjoyable. I think it is helpful for young adults and their ability to imagine things other than the straight story.

This book counts for the Once Upon a Time Challenge.

2 comments:

  1. Definitely for younger readers! I think it would be fun to read with my granddaughter, so maybe I liked it better for that reason. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. *Jen: It was fun to review this book with you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

I am so sorry, but I turned anonymous commenting off. I have had it from the very beginning, but that is how the spam is getting by my spam filter at the moment. If it is a big deal I will turn it back on and moderate all comments. I also changed moderation from older than 14 days to older than 7.