Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Poetry: Read More/Blog More – A Monthly Event! - Month 1

Today is the first wrap-up post for Poetry: Read More/Blog More – A Monthly Event!  If you are joining in, you will find Mr. Linky on Lu's blog this month.

This Months Poems Recommended by Lu:

'Please' by Yusef Komunyakaa (Poem Found Here) - Read January 8, 2012
First up, I have never really talked about poetry on my blog before, so I am not entirely sure what I am supposed to say. This is a poem that to me seems about the guilt of events from a war. The narrator, or maybe even the author, did something that he is not proud of and is asking for forgiveness. I think the mood is captured very well considering it is on the shorter side. I believe you can feel the emotions that the author was trying to express and I am left feeling bad for the person that feels guilty. I am off to a good start!

'The Sea is History' by Derek Walcott (Poem Found Here) - Read January 25, 2012
I was off to a good start, but the month sort of ran away from me. I wasn't able to find 'At the Screen Door' by the author above, so I skipped down to this one. I grew-up by the sea, so this poems title sounded interesting. As I was reading it I could picture waves crashing through the rhythm of the poem. I think that the author drew some interesting relationships between the sea and history. I enjoyed reading this poem.

'Cottonmouth Country' by Louise Gluck (Poem Found Here) - Read January 25, 2012
This was a bit of a bleak poem. I am not entirely sure what to make of it. I think it would help if I entirely knew what a cottonmouth is. I am not even entirely positive that is a type of plant and not just a metaphor of some sort. If it is a plant, which I know I could easily look up, the poem actually makes a lot of sense to me. It is the sort of thing that could be said about most anything in this day and age, actually. The poem was short, but I don't think it would need to be any longer. It conveys its point.

'All Hallows' by Louise Gluck (Poem Found Here) - Read January 25, 2012
I think so far this poem was my favourite. I think because I live in an area where the story behind it is very easy to relate to even if it doesn't directly influence myself. It is another bleak sort of poem, but that works for it. I also enjoy the imagery. I might have found a poet I like enough to explore outside of this list.

'October' by Louise Gluck (Poem Found Here) - Read January 25, 2012
The list from Lu only includes the first section of the poem, but I figured while I had it all there in front of me I was going to read it. Once again it is a depressing poem, which is sad because October is my favourite month of the year. That being said, when you read the overall poem you can appreciate why the tone is what it is. Plus, I am starting to get into the rhythm of reading poetry today and appreciating the wording and imagery all that much more.

'At the Fishhouses' by Elizabeth Bishop (Poem Found Here) - Read January 25, 2012
I was planning to move on to some of Jason's list, but then I noticed that this author had a connection Nova Scotia. As I live in Nova Scotia I was curious about her. This poem was so easy for me to read and picture in my minds eye because I have seen many of the things she captures. She expresses herself wonderfully and there are lines where I was thinking 'Wow, she captured that well...' Maybe I like poetry more than I thought... I still can't imagine reading whole collections of it, but this is fun so far!

'First Death in Nova Scotia' by Elizabeth Bishop (Poem Found Here) - Read January 25, 2012
This is how I figured out that Bishop had a Nova Scotia connection. A poem set in Nova Scotia by someone that lived her for a time is of interest to me. This poem was slightly different than the other poem I read by her, but still very well-written. I would have enjoyed seeing Nova Scotia itself through her eyes, but her mention of loons and 'Maple Leaf Forever' were good examples of the Nova Scotia she would have known at the time.

'The Bat' by Claudia Emerson (Poem Found Here) - Read January 25, 2012
I figured while I was on a roll I would check out this author. I have had bats in the house so I know how unpleasant they can be. I was saying on Twitter the other day that I am always a bit worried they will get tangled in my hair. I don't really mind them otherwise. In the warmer weather it is quite common for you to be outside and see them swooping around. I don't think I would be very happy if someone attacked one with a broom, though...

'Daybook' by Claudia Emerson (Poem Found Here) - Read January 25, 2012
I think my biggest issue with poetry is that I am not so good with the abstract. When I read something I prefer knowing what is going on. This poem does exactly that. It captures something that you can entirely relate to and understand. There is still good writing and imagery but I don't have to second-guess myself for knowing what this poem may or may not be about. I like that better.

Then, I moved on to one of Jason's Poems:

'Goblin Market' by Christina Rossetti (Poem Found Here) - Read January 25, 2012
When I first received my list from Jason and saw this poem on it I got a bit excited. I have always enjoyed this poem and even own a copy of a book where it is the title poem. I own very little poetry, so this is a huge distinction! I am thinking that anyone that enjoys this poem will have lots of other treasures for me to explore. It basically ties into my enjoyment of fantasy and fairy tales. And really, folks, this is Dante's sister. If you haven't read it you should go and do so!

20 comments:

  1. Ooh, I so need to explore this list. Goblin Market is one of my favourites, too, but I haven't read any of Lu's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't read many of the poems at all. I am looking forward to exploring a bit more.

      Delete
  2. You read all of these THIS morning?! I own a book (the only one) of poetry and it's all Lu's fault. I had to look and see if PLEASE was in it (nope) but guess what. Komunyakaa wrote a poem titled 1984. Go figure.

    The first stanza of Goblin Market reminds me of pie. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, pie!

      haha, no, I read them a bit more stretched out than that...

      Delete
  3. Wow, Kelly! You're off to a fantastic start! I find talking about poetry so intimidating...as in I'm afraid I'll say something totally stupid. But I do love reading it. :D

    I haven't read the poem to know if this is what she's talking about, but a cottonmouth is a kind of snake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I really didn't know what to talk about.

      Oh, I knew that a cottonmouth was a snake. duh! We don't really have many snakes here so I never even thought!

      Delete
  4. I'm going to have to come back when I have time to read the poems! I'm a poetry lover, but just the other day I was talking to my husband about how I return over and over to the same poets, the same poems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't read poetry very much at all... I really want to do better.

      Delete
  5. I've been reading a few of these posts and really enjoying them. It reminds me how much I actually do enjoy poetry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it will lead you to read more poetry!

      Delete
  6. Great idea! I'm going to make an effort to join in this month! I'd love to read a poem a day. We'll see... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, how fun! I hope to see a post from you!

      Delete
  7. Anonymous12:47 PM

    Great post! Love the poems.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you like Goblin Market, you might like Porphyria's Lover by Robert Browning

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thanks for the suggestion! I will have to see if I can find it. :)

      Delete
  9. "Please" interests me because Pleiku is in Viet Nam and was strategically important during the Viet Nam War (I looked that up), and because initially, I thought maybe the poem was referencing The Red Badge of Courage because he uses the name Henry, and I thought of Henry Fleming.

    All of the poems you chose deserve second and third thoughts and require more than a superficial reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ah, see, there were connections that I was entirely not picking up on with those poems...

      Delete
  10. Kelly! I love that you read all these. Reading your "real-time" reactions is awesome. A cottonmouth is another name for a water moccasin snake. I'm glad that you responded so well to Claudia Emerson's poems... I actually know her personally. She was my poetry instructor/mentor in college and I feel like the poetry I write is very much influenced by her poetry. Louise Glück is one of my favorite new-to-me poets. I've only just discovered her work in the past year, but I really love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, thanks! It is a big deal for me to be reading poetry!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

I am so sorry, but I turned anonymous commenting off. I have had it from the very beginning, but that is how the spam is getting by my spam filter at the moment. If it is a big deal I will turn it back on and moderate all comments. I also changed moderation from older than 14 days to older than 7.