Sunday, February 16, 2020

Week in Review (7)


Life

We had a week of winter: snow, cold weather, gross driving conditions. All the fun stuff. I am at the part of the year where I want spring. It gets me in a bad mood and I am in a bit of a reading slump. If I didn't listen to audios, I wouldn't have read anything really this week. I have this problem in February every year. It is the shortest month of the year, but the weather gets me down. I am at 40 books read for the year, but most of those were in January. It is still better than some recent years.


I did get some pretty flowers for Valentine's Day, though! As you can see, Chloe approved. We don't really do plants because Finn eats them. I learned just how bad it is when I brought some plants in one spring because of a possible frost and the next morning they had barely any leaves left.

Bookopoly

Nothing was for Bookopoly this month!

Currently Reading




Audiobook

I am between audiobooks at the moment!

Weekly Reading


Paper Girls - Volume 1

This is supposed to be my next series I catch up in for my graphic novel project of 2020. I still have only read the 1 volume. It was a reread. I actually found that I barely remembered what happened. I knew the general story, but some of the details I had forgotten. I am still determined to get this read in February!


The Unlikely Escape of Uriah Heep

I loved this book. I have been seeing it around to commemorate it coming out in paperback, but before that I had never heard of it before. I decided to use an audio credit on it and started it right away. It's a book about books and I thought it was done really well. It's the story of two brothers. One is a practical lawyer and the other is a scatter-brained teacher that can make things come out of books. It is inspired a lot by Charles Dickens, but other famous characters make an appearance, too. I am so glad I took a chance on it. It is definitely one of my favourite books of 2020.


Unf*ck Yourself: Get out of your head and into your life

So, work has this Book Club where we read self-help type books and you earn points. Then every quarter, the points are put towards gift cards. The most you can get is a 50 dollar one and I am working my way towards my March gift card. I find this is really not my genre, so I am leaving it to the last minute. This book had interesting points, but it was not amazing. I am glad I read it, though.


Will My Cat Eat My Eyeballs?

I recently heard of Caitlin Doughty and this book was on sale on Audible. It worked for what was left of my work commute, so I started it right away. The author narrates it herself and it was an interesting read. I definitely learned a bunch from it because she is right, we really do not know a lot about death. It was a bit Americanized, so I don't know if everything applies to Canadian laws, but it was worth checking out. She's on my list to read again for sure!

New Additons:

Amazon:
Stormsong  by C.L. Polk
The Unlikely Escape of Uriah Heep by H.G. Parry (read)
Starsight by Brandon Sanderson
Witchmark by C.L. Polk (read it last year, but didn't own it)
Giant Days - Volume 12 by John Allison

Bookoutlet:

Child of a Mad God by R.A. Salvatore
Reckoning of Fallen Gods by R.A. Salvatore
Storms of Locusts by Rebecca Roanhorse (read, just wanted to own a copy)
The Polar Bear Explorers' Club by Alex Bell
The Refrigerator Monologues by Catherynne Valente
Semiosis by Sue Burke
The Blue Castle by Lucy Maud Montgomery
Planetfall by Emma Newman
Before Mars by Emma Newman
Wundersmith by Jessica Townsend


7 comments:

  1. The Caitlin Doughty book looks fun! And you are the second person I've seen today who's praised the Uriah Heep book, so I'm being swiftly won over. Thanks for the rec!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really good! I hope you like it!

      Delete
  2. 40 books!? I think that makes up for your February slump!

    Wishing you a great reading week, and warmer weather.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the flowers! I'm not getting to listen to many audiobooks at the moment. Need to get back to walking so I can listen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I listen on my commute. So, I get about an hour in a day.

      Delete
  4. Such pretty flowers! I bought myself some chocolates for Valentine's Day. Haha. I hope spring comes your way soon. I haven't heard of The Unlikely Escape of Uriah Heep. It sounds good though. I have another of Caitlin Doughty's books, which I am looking forward to reading. I admit the big cat on the cover of Will My Cat Eat My Eyeballs? has me wanting to read that one too--although I know it has little to actually do with cats. LOL

    I hope you enjoy your new books! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

I am so sorry, but I turned anonymous commenting off. I have had it from the very beginning, but that is how the spam is getting by my spam filter at the moment. If it is a big deal I will turn it back on and moderate all comments. I also changed moderation from older than 14 days to older than 7.