Sunday, February 23, 2020

Week in Review (8)


Life

I had a 3 day weekend this weekend. I was going to catch up on stuff around the house. Unless I get really into cleaning today, that did not happen. But, it's the thought that counts, right? Instead, I finished my graphic novel series for the month because I was determined to at least get that done. I am not really in a reading slump. I just didn't really read the first couple weeks of the month, so I mostly just read graphic novels. I have so many novels that I want to get to, so hopefully this last week of February I can get to something. My priority is to finish A Lesson in Secrets by Jacqueline Winspear before the end of the month. Then everything else is just gravy.

Bookopoly

I read Company Town by Madeline Ashby for Bookopoly. In December I made a pile of 24 books I want to read in 2020 and made cards for them for when I land on Book Chest (Community Chest). I landed on Community Chest in January and the book I drew was Company Town, but then I didn't get to it and I wanted to start from fresh in February. I landed on Canadian Fiction for one of my rolls, though, so I decided to finally get to this one as it is set in Newfoundland and the author is Canadian. That only puts me at 1/24 books completed. Not a good start!

Then, I rolled Graphic Novel. I am almost tempted to cover those spots with something else because I am reading graphic novels anyway.

I am currently reading A Lesson in Secrets which counted for Next Book in a Series. It's a reread, though. It has been too long since I read the series and I wanted a refresher... I had planned to read the next book this month, but clearly that didn't happen.

I also rolled Classic and am technically supposed to be reading The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe for that. I need to clean or something to actually do that, though, as I am doing the audios this reread.

Currently Reading


Audiobook


Weekly Reading


Giant Days - Volume 12

The latest installment in this series. I am glad that I caught up with it now because the series is ending soon. It's a fun series and I think it will end well. But, we will see! At least now that I am caught up I can read it as it ends instead of being a bunch of comics behind. This was another fun addition!


Paper Girls Volume 2 to 6

My graphic novel series for February was Paper Girls. I had officially, according to my Goodreads, only read 2 of the series, but I owned them all. I had read Volume 3, too. I just forgot to record it whatever year that was. But since I kept buying the series and then not reading it, I was determined to get it done. And, I did it and I think it ended really well! It was a solid series overall and I am so happy I own it. I can see future rereads and this is now officially one of my favourite graphic novel series.


Company Town by Madeline Ashby

This book was on my radar when it first came out, but then I never got around to getting a copy. A science-fiction and basically dystopian book set in Newfoundland on an oil rig. I was intrigued! (For those that do not know, I live in Canada. Nova Scotia to be exact!) And, I am glad that I finally read it! The author even mentioned Newfoundland winters and it was very fitting for the ridiculous snowstorm they had a few weeks ago in present Newfoundland. I enjoyed the main character and watching her grow through the book. I feel like Ashby managed to get a lot of growth into what is actually a bit of a short book. It was not a new favourite, but it was worth the read. And, I plan to read more by Ashby in the future.


Lumberjanes Volume 1 to 3

I have been concentrating on books I actually own mostly this year, but this series is on Scribd and every so often I need to use the service a bunch to feel like I am not wasting my money having it. So, when I saw Lumberjanes was on there again, I decided to catch up. I am pretty sure I read the first 10 Volumes already, but I decided to just start from the beginning and read what is on there. I regret that I didn't buy this series when it came out because I started it back then. Now, I want to own it and there are so many Volumes! Maybe one day. It's a fun series, though!

New Additions

I did a big unhaul of some graphic novels that I didn't feel compelled to reread. With the credit I got, I got more graphic novels:

Hawkeye: Private Eye by Kelly Thompson
Locke & Key - Volume 2: Head Games by Joe Hill (read this before, but want to own the series)
Jessica Jones - Volume 1 to 3 by Brian Michael Bendis
Monstress - Volume 4: The Chosen by Marjorie Liu


3 comments:

  1. I do that pretty regularly with thinking I'm going to be all productive and then it not so much happening. I usually figure either my mind or body needed a break. That is a lot of graphic novels! It's definitely a genre I need to visit more. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that cover for Company Town is so cool. What did you think of the Maisie Dobbs book? I am all caught up on the series and I don't believe she has a new one until next year. It's still one of my favorite series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to catch up with the Maisie Dobbs series! And Flavia de Luca series, and multiple other series.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

I am so sorry, but I turned anonymous commenting off. I have had it from the very beginning, but that is how the spam is getting by my spam filter at the moment. If it is a big deal I will turn it back on and moderate all comments. I also changed moderation from older than 14 days to older than 7.