Monday, October 30, 2006

November Reading Challenge


It will soon be the month of November, and I have been thinking about it a lot lately. In Canada, November is the month that Remembrance Day falls in, being November 11th. So, I got to thinking, I might do a reading challenge where I read books set in World War I and World War II. I can't read only that, though, as I need some variety in my reading, but I do own a few books that would work.

I am just going to choose three to begin with. I know I own more, I just have to search the ole to be read pile. I am almost done The Bronze Horseman, which will finish up my October Reading Challenge. It would also count for this November one.

I also plan to read:
Tatiana and Alexander - Paullina Simons
Flags of our Fathers - James Bradley
The Book Thief - Markus Zusak

Then for non-fiction, I found a second hand copy of
We Stand on Guard: An Illustrated History of the Canadian Army by John Marteinson.

I am still going to look through my to be read pile for other world war novels, but this is my challenge. Anyone else out there that feels like joining in, feel free.

16 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:58 PM

    I'll posting mine soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you going to join in?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought so! :) Thanks for saying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:21 PM

    Before you had posted this challenge, I had actually debated doing the same thing, then decided not to as the only war book that I'd actually want to read would be L.M. Montgomery's Rilla of Ingleside.

    I really ought to be more patriotic than I am when it comes to Remembrance Day. *cough*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, well, I have just always read war-type novels, and then I got The Book Thief in the mail today, and decided that I should make it a theme because it is November. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous3:40 AM

    Great idea. I've been meaning to read Pat Barker's 'Regeneration Trilogy' for ages (it's set in WWI). Is it cheating if I count it as three novels?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nope, it is a very laid back challenge. Do what you think you are a capable of. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like a great challenge. I have dual citizenship, so I can read war-type books for both Remembrance Day and Veteran's Day. I have several in my stacks and will post a list on Thursday (not sure if I'll come up with 13, but we'll see - I certainly won't try to read all in one month, if I do!). Great idea, Kailana. Thanks for the incentive.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, I am happy people are expressing interest! I will have to make a post of the people that are doing it. If anyone sees someone that is not on my regular viewing list, I would appreciate it if you told me! Then, I can include everyone. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm reading The Book Thief at the moment, it is soooooooooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great idea! I've already read some WWI and WWII books this year, but I have quite a few on my shelves that I haven't read so I'm willing to try and squeeze in a few more. I'll post my list tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Not sure if I can squeeze 3 in or not but I am definitely going to join in and do what I can. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am glad people are joining in! I must start reading the books I chose... Man, just reading period would be a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  14. There is a great Triology by Pat Barker that is WWI.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous9:26 AM

    I'd like to take part too, I don't know what I'm going to read yet but hopefully I'll come across something interesting :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

I am so sorry, but I turned anonymous commenting off. I have had it from the very beginning, but that is how the spam is getting by my spam filter at the moment. If it is a big deal I will turn it back on and moderate all comments. I also changed moderation from older than 14 days to older than 7.