Wednesday, January 31, 2007

New Moon by Stephanie Meyer


Books Completed: 13
Completion Date: January 21, 2007
Publication Year: 2006
Pages: 576
Owned Prior to 2007
Book 2 in The Twilight Series





From Amazon:



Legions of readers entranced by Twilight are hungry for more and they won't be disappointed. In New Moon, Stephenie Meyer delivers another irresistible combination of romance and suspense with a supernatural twist. The "star-crossed" lovers theme continues as Bella and Edward find themselves facing new obstacles, including a devastating separation, the mysterious appearance of dangerous wolves roaming the forest in Forks, a terrifying threat of revenge from a female vampire and a deliciously sinister encounter with Italy's reigning royal family of vampires, the Volturi. Passionate, riveting, and full of surprising twists and turns, this vampire love saga is well on its way to literary immortality.
I have to admit, when this book first came out I heard some iffy reviews about it, and I was slightly worried about how I was going to feel about it. I really liked Twilight, and I was worried I would feel like others, that the start and ending were all that were important. So, I finally decided this month that I was going to give it a try, because I really was curious what was going to happen next in the series.

One of the most important things to remember about this series is that Bella is dating a vampire, a vampire that has tried to change his blood-sucking ways (him and his whole family), and that Bella is very accident prone. This means that since she is not a vampire, she bleeds. This can be potentially bad for a family of vampires when presented with them. So, when the book starts, Bella goes the way of the clumsy, and suddenly she is in the middle of the very situation that Edward has always wanted her to avoid. Fearing for her, and for other reasons, the family moves away and leaves Bella behind. After this point, people began to tell me that the story was pointless. I have to disagree. I admit that Edward and Bella are a great couple, and I know that a lot of people have bookish crushes on our "young" vampire, but it there is one thing that everyone should know about romance, it is that it is not always perfect.

So, needless to say, Edward is not a major character in this novel. This book concentrates more on Bella, suffering through the loss of the love of her life, and Jacob, the young boy that Bella meets in the first book. He has a lot going on his life, too, though. In the beginning, everything between the two of them seems perfect, but pretty soon Jacob gets a bit elusive. I find his storyline interesting. I am not a big Jacob fan, though, I prefer Edward, but that does not mean that I did not enjoy learning more about him.

Bella can annoy me, she is did in Twilight, so I was worried what would happen with her as the central character and no Edward to off-set her. The truth is, I really did not particuarly mind her. I mean, the girl has her moments. She is a typical teenager, though. She has her innocence and she tends to do things in this book that I really question her sanity, but overall, she was not that bad. It is good that she did not annoy me because then I might be worried to read the next book in this series. I read this book in 24 hours, though. I stayed up late, into the witching hour and even beyond, to see how it ended. I admit I was waiting to see what would happen when Edward reappears, but the rest of the book was good. I liked Twilight better, but I cannot wait to read Eclipse when it comes out (hopefully) later this year.

4/5

Authors Gender:
Female: 12
Male: 1

I have previously read this author before, you can read my review of Twilight by clicking here.

6 comments:

  1. I loved Twilight and New Moon both and thought they were both really good. But looking at her site she has the series going in some interesting directions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:48 PM

    i love the first book because Bella falls in love with a vampire and all but at the end i dont realy know if Edward bites her or not so am still trying to find out wat happens nex and i think that they have to make a movie about this!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:38 PM

    i read twilight and loved it. and when i heard edward leaves in this novel, i was worried it would be boreing. though the middle was less action packed, i felt it was a necessary precursor to the end. and it was amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous4:40 AM

    in the beginning of my studies a friend of mine excited me about the amazing novel she read, happening to be a bookworm myself i decided to take a chance and dive into a different world, this book was exactly the type of story my heart became set on this novel leaves me breathless, romance, suspence EVERYTHING!!! Thank you for creating such a good book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved Twilight when I was reading and enjoyed most of it. I just bought New Moon too and can't wait to find out what'll happen to Bella and Edward!

    And yeah, Bella does annoy me sometimes, too. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous9:26 AM

    wow..first i thought wont be so good but after reading im have to reconsider my opinion about twilight =) its kool n awsm...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

I am so sorry, but I turned anonymous commenting off. I have had it from the very beginning, but that is how the spam is getting by my spam filter at the moment. If it is a big deal I will turn it back on and moderate all comments. I also changed moderation from older than 14 days to older than 7.