Sunday, February 04, 2007

The Silver Bough by Lisa Tuttle


Books Completed: 19
Completion Date: February 3, 2007
Publication Year: 2006
Pages: 368
Owned from Random House Prior to 2007


The award-winning author of The Mysteries returns with another captivating novel in which modern-day enigmas and age-old myths come together with
spellbinding results. Here is an enchanting tale set in a land rich with
folklore–and ripe for a rekindling of the old ways.

Nestled on the coast of Scotland, Appleton was once famous for its apples. Now, though the orchards are long gone, locals still dream of the town’s glory days, when an Apple Queen was crowned at the annual fair and good luck seemed a way of life. And outsiders are still drawn to the charming village, including three very different American women.

Enchanted by Appleton’s famously ornate, gold-domed library, divorcĂ©e Kathleen Mullaroy has left her cosmopolitan job to start anew as the town’s head librarian. Widowed Nell Westray hopes for a quiet life of gardening in the place where she and her husband spent their happiest moments. And young Ashley Kaldis has come to find her roots, and learns that the town’s fortunes turned when her grandmother was crowned Apple Queen–then mysteriously disappeared.

When a sudden landslide cuts Appleton off from the wider world–and the usual constraints of reality–the village reveals itself to be an extraordinary place, inhabited by legendary beings, secret rooms, and the blossoming of a rare fruit not seen in decades. Most unexpected is a handsome stranger who will draw all three women into an Otherworld in which luck and love will return to Appleton–if only one of them will believe.

Lush with the romance and allure of ancient traditions, The Silver Bough will propel you into a land where, as in Eden, the bite of a single apple can alter the whole course of reality.
To read the review of this book, click here.

Authors Gender:
Female: 18
Male: 1

This is the first time I have read this author. I would like to take the time, though, to thank Random House for sending me this worthwhile read.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:36 PM

    I hadn't heard of this but it sounds great. Another one for the TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book. I want to work in that library!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It turned out to be a good book. I am glad that I read it. I want to work in that library too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kailana!!!!!!!! Just stopping by to say hello and I've missed you!! I've been MIA from blogland what with trying to run about 13 or so sites. LOL.

    *hugs* ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey there! :)

    I've been reading about this book on various sites. I read your review - it really does sound like a good read. I'm going to have to snag myself a copy!:)

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

I am so sorry, but I turned anonymous commenting off. I have had it from the very beginning, but that is how the spam is getting by my spam filter at the moment. If it is a big deal I will turn it back on and moderate all comments. I also changed moderation from older than 14 days to older than 7.