*** This is a sticky post, scroll down for new ones***
There have been changes made to this post, they are in bold.
So, it is 2 AM. I cannot sleep because the day was really bad, so I get to thinking, what can I do with myself. (And, yes, that is me in the picture at right... It's old, so I don't necessarily look the same. For starters, I have different glasses. It was also back when my house consisted of four cats and a dog.) I am going to have a reading challenge, that's what. I don't know if I get enough readers to my blog to have a large turnout, but regardless, the challenge can very easily just be for me. (Just so you know, the title is subject to change... I am not really at my most creative right now.)
If people plan to join in, here is the run down:1. This challenge is in memory of my four-legged friend. I have put down four animals this year, and they were all very loyal animals. Sandy was the hardest because she was my best friend. I know they say 'mans' best friend, but that is sexist, she was my best friend.
2. In memory of Sandy, this challenge will begin on September 20th. That was the day that I brought Sandy home for the very first time. Then, I had to come up with an end date. Three months puts it too near Christmas, so we are going to have a weird end date: February 26th. That was Shelby, Sandy's older sisters, birthday. So, the challenge runs for 5 months.
3. The books? Read books that have animals as the main character or an important character. They do not have to believable, in other words if they talk that is fine, but let's keep it with animals of the 21st-century. I am a huge fan of fantasy, but in other words, let's leave the dragons out of this one. So, the animal does not have to be the main character, but they have to play an important enough role that you remember them afterwards. The Guardian by Nicholas Sparks, for example. It is one of my favourite books because of the dog. And, no, this is not a dog challenge, other animals count as well. (Authors like Robin Hobb and Philip Pullman also count.)
4. The aim? 3-5 books. Page limit does not matter, so if you read a picture book to your child at night and it is Bambi, count it. The point is just to honour our four-legged friends. Do the animals have to have four legs? No. If you want to read a book about a monkey and count it, go for it. When you read a book, review it in some manner on your blog and then I am not sure. If get a lot of participants, I will start a blog for it, if I don't get a lot of participants, then just be sure and comment on my blog and say that you reviewed or make a wrap up post before February 26th and post the link in my comments.
5. The prize? I have five months to figure that out. I figure it will probably be a book, likely something like Marley and Me because I really like that book and it reminds me of Sandy. There will be other things too, and they will all be Sandy inspired. All you have to do is read some books to be entered.
6. So, what now? Think about your lists, if you don't have them finished by the 20th, that is no big deal. You don't even have to have a list at all, just comment and let me know you are joining in. If you want to join after the 20th, that's fine, there is no deadline for joining in. I know the 20th is short notice, so I am being flexible.
7. The button... did I mention it is 2AM? If anyone gets ambitious and wants to make me one, I would be very thankful. If not, I will play around with photo shop in the next few days. I have done some thinking about the button, and you know what, I am not going to have one. You guys can be creative. You can either take the picture of Sandy with the snake or worm or whatever you want to call it in her mouth, or you can post a picture of your own pet, both living or deceased. As I say in the next section, this is supposed to be about your pets, not just mine. I think it will make it more special if people post their own.
8. Bonus portion: Think of this challenge in memory of your pets that have gone on before you or even those that are still alive. When you make your intro post, tell us something about your pet. Why they were special, some fun story, how much you miss them, etc. Posting pictures is also good. I like pets. Especially dogs, I am very much a dog person.
9. Now, I bet you are thinking, what does Sandy have to do with books? Everything! Some of my most special memories of me and Sandy are of her laying beside me while I read. At night before bed, in the afternoon on the couch, outside on the patio, etc. Me and Sandy spent a lot of time together that way, and I will always think about her when I read.
10.My suggested food while you are reading? Baby carrots. I used to much on carrots and never really think to give them to Sandy, but she loves them! So, baby carrots turned into half the bag for me and the other half for her. Actually, that's what I did with her for her last night. I ate carrots with her. She did not eat a lot, but I think baby carrots will always remind me of her.