Monday, September 24, 2007

Mister Pip by Lloyd Jones


Date Completed: September 23, 2007
Pages: 272
Publication Year: 2007
Received from Random House.

Reason for Reading: Short-listed for the 2007 Booker Prize.
After the trouble starts and the soldiers arrive on Matilda’s island, only one white person stays behind. Mr. Watts, whom the kids call Pop Eye, wears a red nose and pulls his wife around on a trolley, and he steps in to teach the children when there is no one else. His only lessons consist of reading from his battered copy of Great Expectations, a book by his friend Mr. Dickens.

For Matilda, Dickens’s hero Pip becomes as real to her as her own mother, and the greatest friendship of her life has begun. Soon Mr. Watts’s book begins to inflame the children’s imaginations with dreams about Dickens’s London and the larger world. But how will they answer when the soldiers demand to know: where is this man named Pip?

Set against the stunning beauty of Bougainville in the South Pacific during the civil war in the early 1990s, Lloyd Jones’s breathtaking novel shows what magic a child’s imagination makes possible even in the face of terrible violence and what power stories have to fuel the imagination.
When this book was first put on the long-list for the Bookers, I was not sure if it was going to be something that I want to read, but I really like Great Expectations, so I thought I should see what I thought about this book. I am so glad that I did. There were a few moments during the book that I was not really sure about, but they all came together into one of the best books that I have read this year. I have only read one other Booker book, On Chesil Beach, so I am not in any place to judge this in the grand scheme of things, but if this book won I think it would deserve it.

Set on a South Pacific Island, civil war comes to play with a blockade that keeps the people on the island isolated from the outside world. For many people, this is how life is anyways, they do not go anywhere. With the blockade, the teachers have left the island, so the children are left with no schooling. There is one white man left on the island, he met an islander when she was in Australia and ended up coming to the island with her after she goes through some difficult periods in her life. He becomes the island teacher. Life is hard for these children, but when they are in the classroom with their teacher he transports them to Victorian England through the pages of Great Expectations by Charles Dickens. These children are transformed, they are so captured by the novel that they think of Pip as a friend that they know.

Set during a war, there is a lot more than just a class reading a novel going on, and I think that Lloyd James does a wonderful job combining several themes. Told by an islander named Matilda, she captures an isolated world through the eyes of a young black girl that. until she is older, has never stepped off an island. Race issues are also at play during this novel.

This book was really good!

11 comments:

  1. As a Dickens devotee, I'm looking forward to reading this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was good! I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book also rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol, you are very descriptive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lately, I've hated all the Booker Books I've read. But I loved Great Expectations, and I do really want to read this one!! I'm glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, I hated On Chesil Beach, but this was a good read!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, this one gets added to the TBR list after such an exuberant review, but it will have to wait until next year.

    I am really enjoying Mistress of the Art of Death. You can't help but like Adelia. Plus it's a good mystery and period piece.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mister Pip was really good. I hope you enjoy it when you get to it!

    Mistress of the Art of Death has a sequel coming out in January that you might want to keep in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd read about this book before, and now my interest is piqued again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another one for the TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous12:58 AM

    I also like Great Expectations, but I'm not sure about this one. Maybe I'll think about it some more after I finish reading Alex Webster and The Gods. Wit, romance and mythology all wrapped up in a darn good story.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

I am so sorry, but I turned anonymous commenting off. I have had it from the very beginning, but that is how the spam is getting by my spam filter at the moment. If it is a big deal I will turn it back on and moderate all comments. I also changed moderation from older than 14 days to older than 7.