Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Giller-a-Thon


Okay, so 'Booker-a-thon' sounds better, but I am more interested in the Giller list than I was in the Bookers. I still plan to read the Booker short-list, though, I notice that the two books I could not find before are now available on Amazon.ca.

Anyways, I always like the Giller Winners, so this year I thought I would try and read as much of the long-list as possible. I have already read Helpless by Barbara Gowdy. That was a must-read because I love The Romantic, one of her earlier books. It was a good book, but I think I would be very surprised if it won. The second book I am reading off the Giller list is Michael Ondaatje's book, Divisadero. I have read one Ondaatje before, In the Skin of the Lion, but I own his other books. Reading so far, though, I am not enraptured, so I don't know if it is good enough to win. I am still newly into it, though, so my thoughts can change.

After finishing Ondaatje I am going to move on to October by Richard Wright. I am worried. I really really liked Clara Callan by him, but then anything I have read since I have not really liked at all. I have been humming and hawing over whether I want to try again, but I have heard good things about October, so I am going to give it a try. Plus, October is one of my favourite months of the year, so why not read a book with it as the title. (October is my birthday month, the time of the leaves changing that we are sort of famous for, and Halloween.)

After that, we will have to see. I really want to read Lawrence Hill's The Book of Negroes. Then, some of the others I have either heard good things about or never even heard of before. Some of the authors I have been meaning to try for years, so this gives me an added push. Anyways, back to Ondaatje. Remember, two days until my reading challenge officially kicks off!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

I am so sorry, but I turned anonymous commenting off. I have had it from the very beginning, but that is how the spam is getting by my spam filter at the moment. If it is a big deal I will turn it back on and moderate all comments. I also changed moderation from older than 14 days to older than 7.