Friday, February 27, 2009

The Dreaming - Volume 1, 2, and 3 by Queenie Chan


Books Completed: 44
Completion Date: February, 2009
Pages: 192
Publication Date: December 13, 2005

Reason for Reading: Rhinoa's Manga Challenge, New Author Challenge.
When twin sisters Amber and Jeanie are accepted into an exclusive Australian boarding school, their future looks bright. But the school’s halls harbour a terrible secret: students have been known to wander into the surrounding bushlands and vanish… without a trace! No one knows where they went — or why.

But as Amber and Jeanie are about to learn, the key to the school’s dark past may lie in the world of their dreams…

I am very happy I took a chance on this trilogy! Rhinoa has been reading them, and I had read her reviews. By some miracle the library had all three of them and they came in on the same day! I figured it was fate for me to read them. I also enjoy the fact that the author is Australian. All the manga I have read so far is translated, where as this one was originally published in English. I like the idea behind that!

This is the first book in the trilogy. Life has not been so great for the sisters, so without many options open to them they have enrolled in a boarding school. There aunt is the headmistress, so she pulled a few strings. The only problem is that the sisters are twins and their aunt warns them to keep it a secret. Apparently the vice-principal does not want twins attending the school that she owns. This is just the beginning of the weird things that happen. The school has a lot of mysteries and they soon find themselves in the middle of them. A very creepy start to the trilogy!

Books Completed: 45
Completion Date: Feburary, 2009
Pages: 192
Publication Date: October 19, 2006

Reason for Reading: Next in the Series, Rhinoa's Manga Challenge.
Greenwich Private College grinds to a complete halt after the discovery of Millie’s body. As gloom and despair sets in, most of the students leave the school. But Jeanie’s curiosity keeps her on campus, and when she’s led down the path of Greenwich’s dark history, has she awakened a ghostly curse?
The twins have found that there is more going on at this school than just education. They start having weird dreams and apparently people that have gone out into the bush have gotten lost and were never heard from again. This ties into the terrible dreams of blood in the forest that both twins have. When one of their schoolmates, Millie, goes missing and her body is found, the school is shut down and most of the students are sent home. Amber finds everything too hard to handle and spends the majority of her time sleeping, but Jeanie finds that she wants to get to the bottom of things. Jeanie starts to put together the pieces of a long-held secret and a curse that hangs over the school.

Books Completed: 46
Completion Date: February, 2009
Pages: 192
Publication Date: December 6, 2007

Reason for Reading: Next in the series, Rhinoa's Manga Challenge.
Where did the ghostly girls come from? And what do they want? Before the students know it, the missing girls enter the school, where Amber spots Millie, who speaks to her almost as if to warn her of something. Is there more to this supernatural mystery than just the school itself?

The answers to why these girls have come back and what caused their deaths are revealed in this haunting series finale.

What would happen if the dreams you were having started playing out in front of you? What if all the things you were scared of were suddenly playing out right in front of you? The twins, particularly Amber, have been having strange dreams about the girls that have vanished from the school they are currently attending. When the dream-girls become ghosts that want to enter the school, things get even more spooky! People have been wondering for years how they died, and now this generation has figured out the secrets. Amber is visited by Millie, who warns her to be careful. All the ghostly secrets are wrapped up in this final volume in the trilogy.

I loved this trilogy! It was a great ghost story, and it was not your normal manga storyline. The art was wonderful, as well. This is also a great series for people that want to try manga but are not entirely sure if is their thing because it is like a ghost story with pictures. I sat down with the first book and didn't get up from my chair until I had finished the last one. I was very captivated by the story! Anyway, so I loved this trilogy! Unfortunately, it has been a couple weeks since I finished it, so all the books are running together in my head!

8 comments:

  1. I have to get these! I'm sure I'll love them too. And at least there's only 3 of them :P Seriously, it sounds like an awesome series.

    I've been reading yet another Manga series that I think you'd enjoy too. But I'll tell you all about it in the e-mail I owe you :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nymeth: You do have to read them. I thought the trilogy was great! I had hoped she had more out, but no such luck! I look forward to hearing about this other series. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you enjoyed it so far, I just picked up volume 1 from the library.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh very neat! Glad you enjoyed it too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joanne: I hope you enjoy it!

    Tink: You should give it a try if you want to read some manga, it was really good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous12:47 PM

    I'm so glad you enjoyed this too. I picked up the first one on a whim and then had to get the rest as I loved it so much. I hope she writes more soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rhinoa: I am so glad you recommended them to me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've just finishe'd the first book and it was great and I really hope my school has the other two books cuz they atell really good

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

I am so sorry, but I turned anonymous commenting off. I have had it from the very beginning, but that is how the spam is getting by my spam filter at the moment. If it is a big deal I will turn it back on and moderate all comments. I also changed moderation from older than 14 days to older than 7.