Okay, so I have just been too busy/distracted lately to write book reivews. I hope to reenter catch-up mode soon! In the meantime, Vasilly did this meme of sorts and I thought that I would give it a try!
Seven Things About Me As A Reader:
This might not be things people don't know...
1. I have often wondered where I come from because there are very few readers in my family. Even when my parents were younger, they only read once in a while. My grandmother started reading when she retired, but otherwise it was little old me. My sister goes through periods where she will ask me for a few books to read, but that's about it. I have always read. It is my main hobby, and that has never really ever changed!
2. I hate a lot of description in books. I just want to know what is going on. If the dress is green, the dress is green. I don't need to have a sentence long explanation on the green dress. Sometimes it gets so bad that I will actually skip to the next talking portion. I make the joke that I am a 'meat and potatoes' sort of person. I don't need any of that fancy stuff!
3. My TBR pile is so much bigger than other people's. I read posts where people have such large piles and I laugh because, well, mine is always bigger! That being said, I am still not going to admit the size because I haven't counted in years. Joining the library is NOT helping my TBR pile.
4. I hated young adult fiction when I was a young adult. I have a lot of the stuff that was 'popular' for my age range during that period because that is what my parents would buy me, but I either only read it because I wanted to fit in or I just pretended to read it. I would just read my mother's books (romance novels. yuck!) or Star Trek. I would never have admitted the Star Trek books to people at school, though.
5. I actually hate my library. I do a really good job, but if anyone has noticed it is mostly young adult novels... I am going through a catch-up phase, because I went so many years hardly reading them. Once I get tired of them, I will go back to my fantasy novels and the library sucks for fantasy. It also takes like three months for inter-library loans. I just got a book that hadn't been checked out since 2008, but it took me three months to receive it!
6. I am the sort of person that will stop people and ask them what they are reading. I have had book discussions in malls, airports, at bus stops, etc. etc. I recommend books to random strangers all the time. I have a book radar it seems. If someone is reading nearby, I will see them.
7. I will in truth read just about anything. I say I don't like this, that, or the other thing, but there are always exceptions. I do have issues with buying books from the romance section of the bookstore, though. I have only done it five times... The five Colleen Gleason books. Now that the series is done, I am back to my anti-romance section thing. It drives me crazy that female fantasy and historical fiction authors are getting more romance-type covers because it is like I am going to the romance section without actually stepping foot in them... I am a book snob, huh?