Yes, the very bad Advent Calendar co-host actually is posting her post! I am impressed, too! I wanted to take a moment to send a BIG thank you to Marg for all the work she has done for the last part of the tour. I started a new job and let me tell you, don't start a new job before Christmas.... I have been lurking, but I am hoping this weekend to catch-up with all the posts I missed. Happy Holidays to everyone! If Marg hasn't replaced me we will be back with it again next year and I hope that everyone will join in again! It's a lot of fun. Anyway, to my post:
Once a year, like clockwork, Carl and I come together to bring you the Advent Calendar post for Christmas Eve. Generally we try to do a little something to clear out the holiday planning cobwebs and hopefully bring a smile to your face. This year our minds have concocted:
On each of our sites you will find a list of movie synopses, each representing a Christmas/holiday film. To make things a bit easier, each list is followed by the answer pool, in random order. Each answer corresponds to one of the questions. You will find the answers to each quiz on the opposite site. So, the answers to Kailana’s Quiz are on Carl’s site and the answers to Carl’s Quiz are on Kailana’s site. Confused yet? Good! Take another swig of nog and lets begin.
- Guy lassoes the moon, marries blonde sweetheart. Financial crisis pushes guy to deep six himself in the local river before rescue arrives in the form of a divine messenger (no, not Obama!).
- Average Joe, best known for his questionable home improvement skills, inadvertently kills a beloved gift giver, gains a new career path, and along with it a pretty extreme glandular disorder. Meanwhile, psychologist’s desire for weenie whistle finally fulfilled…try not to think of the psychological implications of that one!
- Red-headed baby raised by vertically challenged family with a penchant for rhyming names. Grows up. Gives kids presents if they sit on his lap and give him a kiss. An unfortunate incident with a duck-on-wheels leaves him a wanted outlaw. Choo-choo train thaws out frigid old crank. Man’s best friend is a honking penguin.
- Depressed kid with self-esteem issues chooses sentiment over sense in picking out Christmas tree. Verbal abuse ensues. Best friend with fabric fetish waxes eloquent on the true meaning of Christmas. Depressed kid triumphs.
- Guy hurts arm in war, milks injury for the rest of his life. He and his buddy perform cross-dressing musical number, count blessings, have a tendency to break into song and dance without the least provocation, and, despite bumps in the road, get the girls in the end.
- Starship captain (in another life) granted opportunity to change course. After three late night visitors, cries out, “Make it so!”.
- Y-chromosome challenged household celebrates Christmas while father is at war. Put on plays. Shock the neighbors with their tomboyish ways. Time passes and all but one young lady leaves the home to pursue her own path. Another Christmas finds them together again before tragedy strikes. One of many lessons is that it is preferable to marry for love, rather than money.
- Despite evidence to the contrary, this film purports that a kid playing with a loud toy is actually enjoyable for a new mother and her infant child.
- Kid dreams of a weapon of not-so-mass destruction, hounds steal turkey, a major award is won…and lost. The potential for violence exists on every daily journey to and from the institute of learning, and the injustice and fury builds until a young man has his very first “oh, fuuuuudge!” moment.
- Family, including some not wanted, descends upon one man’s castle as he attempts to light up the neighborhood and have an old fashioned Christmas. Even if it kills him. The family feline discovers electricity, an employer makes a decision that ends up haunting him, and a cousin makes every embarrassing relative you’ve ever had suddenly look so much better.
So there you have it. Now, as an aide, here are all the answers to the above synopses in random order. If you don’t know an answer, move on to the next. Perhaps process of elimination will help with the more obscure hints and/or films you are not as familiar with.
A Christmas Story
It’s a Wonderful Life
A Christmas Carol
National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation
The Santa Clause
The Little Drummer Boy
A Charlie Brown Christmas
Santa Claus is Comin to Town
Try your hand and then head over to Carl’s site to check out his Quiz and to find out if your answers to my 10 questions were correct. Afterwards, head back over here to check out your answer’s to Carl’s Quiz.
No fair peeking.
Here they are:
Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer
Miracle on 34th Street
The Family Man
Frosty the Snowman
A Muppet Christmas Carol
While You Were Sleeping
Shop Around the Corner
How the Grinch Stole Christmas
Thanks so much Carl for another fun year! I look forward to what we come up with next year!