Monday, February 15, 2010

Madeleine L'Engle Read-Along - A Wind in the Door


Here it is the 15th, so that means announcing the second book in the Madeleine L'Engle Read-Along. I hope that there are still people reading it! I actually have all ready, so I will be posting a review of it soon. I hardly remembered the book at all, so it was almost like reading it for the very first time. I think it is my least favourite in the series, but I have to read the rest before saying for sure anymore.

It is November. When Meg comes home from school, Charles Wallace tells her he saw dragons in the twin’s vegetable garden. That night Meg, Calvin and C.W. go to the vegetable garden to meet the Teacher (Blajeny) who explains that what they are seeing isn’t a dragon at all, but a cherubim named Proginoskes. It turns out that C.W. is ill and that Blajeny and Proginoskes are there to make him well – by making him well, they will keep the balance of the universe in check and save it from the evil Echthros. Meg, Calvin and Mr. Jenkins (grade school principal) must travel inside C.W. to have this battle and save Charles’ life as well as the balance of the universe.
Leave links to reviews in the comments and feel free to use the comments as a discussion area.

6 comments:

  1. I'm reading it now. It's interesting that this time, I do feel it is dated - and the theology (which I am okay with) is more pronunced.

    I've been reading my copy of the book, but last night I wasn't feeling well and went to lie down for a bit, so I put on the audiobook to progress a little futher. The narrator was okay, but she really flattened out the book so that some of the experience I'd been having reading it was lost. Interesting. One again it proves how important a good and appropriate narrator is.

    I hope to be finished in a day or two.

    I've always remembered A Swiftly Tilting Planet to be my favourite, so it'll be interesting to see if that one holds up when I read it next month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't started yet so I'll be a little late, but I'll get to it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this one a few years ago and just didn't enjoy it. But I'm curious to read your thoughts on it and everyone else's!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's been so long since I've read these. I wish I could remember more of the book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still haven't started on the first book...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so, so far behind with my book reviews. I'm just working on "A Wind in the Door" now, but hope to have it done in the next couple of days. I haven't started "A Swiftly Tilting Planet" yet, but plan to do so after I get a library book out of the way.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

I am so sorry, but I turned anonymous commenting off. I have had it from the very beginning, but that is how the spam is getting by my spam filter at the moment. If it is a big deal I will turn it back on and moderate all comments. I also changed moderation from older than 14 days to older than 7.