Saturday, October 01, 2011

Birthday Loot

I said I would do a separate post with my Birthday Loot, so I thought I would post it now since all of my books have arrived. My birthday is not actually until Monday, but since I don't expect to receive any other books there is not much point in waiting. I have to catch-up with Jim Butcher's Storm Front for the R.I.P. Read-Along on Monday, anyway.

I bought myself 5 books. There was meant to be at least one more, but I am a bit hesitant about ordering books online at the moment. The mail experiences that I spoke of in my post on Thursday explain why. I don't really need any more books, anyway. I think I have read too many good books lately. It is dulling my reading experience the last couple weeks.

The books I bought were:

Down the Mysterly River by Bill Willingham - This is an example of my having some issues with my reading lately. I should be done this book by now, but I am really dragging my feet. It is not terrible, but it is nothing like Fables, either. I think I am a bit let down by the experience.








Skulduggery Pleasant: Death Bringer by Derek Landy - This is actually the reason why I wrote the post 'Mail Woes'. It took two weeks for the book to get here and then when it did the package was open. I think of all the books I bought, this is the one I was probably the most excited about. I love this series for some reason. I have started the book and it is fun to visit with old friends.






Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier - I read this book finally last year and loved it, so I decided I wanted my own copy. I actually just finished watching the movie... It was actually pretty good! (FYI: You can watch the whole thing on YouTube.) I will probably review it as part of the R.I.P. challenge. I sort of want to buy a book I haven't read by du Maurier, but I think I will reread this one and take it from there.






The Lantern by Deborah Lawrenson - This is for the read-along that Carl, Heather, and I are co-hosting for the R.I.P. Challenge. It is actually the entire reason why I ordered books before my birthday instead of after. (The Read-Along starts on October 3.)








Prince of Thorns: Book One of The Broken Empire by Mark Lawrence - This actually one of the reasons why I am having a hard time getting into books lately. I quite enjoyed this book and am glad that I splurged after knowing very little about it. September may not have been my busiest reading month number-wise, but it is probably the month where most of my best reads came from so far.

21 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:42 PM

    Ooh, you got the cool Rebecca cover. I'm going to start reading my copy with a lesser cover next week. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you have a great birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun bunch of books! That Prince of Thorns makes me want to read it by just the cover alone. Wow! Do have a wonderful birthday on Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday for Monday! Good haul you've got there too - I've heard good things about Prince of Thorns, I'm looking forward to giving that a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For a while there I was worried I'd missed your birthday - I'm glad that wasn't the case :P

    That's awesome that you were finally able to watch Rebecca! Such a great adaptation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. we won't discuss lagging in the reading department!...
    nice haul !it almost makes it worth getting a year older.. almost, heh. at my age it has to be a lot more books! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. The books sound so good! Especially Skulduggery Pleasant! I love that series! Please let me know if/once you reviewed the book(:

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous10:16 AM

    Eclectic collection! And advanced Birthday wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous10:16 AM

    Eclectic collection! And advanced Birthday wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice birthday loot! PRINCE OF THORNS especially looks great. And I hope you have a great birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just finished reading and reviewing Rebecca and it was my first time reading it - and I absolutely loved it. I have the cover that looks all romantic (red with the big "R" on it) so I do like your cover much better. I'm primed and ready to watch Rebecca and how fantastic that it's on YouTube!

    Also, I'll be joining you all for The Lantern readalong - cannot wait :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Too bad the Willingham book isn't working for you. I hope to get The Lantern before the read-a-long starts but I'm so far down the holds list, I'm sure I won't get it in time.

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's a great list of books! REBECCA is one of my all-time favorite books. THE LANTERN was good. I think you have going to have a great read-along turnout for it. Both are definitely very appropriate for the season. And if I don't get to you tomorrow, happy birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Birthday a day early! Books are always a good gift to receive (and give yourself!). I just pulled out my copy of The Lantern and plan to start reading tonight. And Rebecca is one of my favorite books--definitely worth owning!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy birthday a day early!!

    I hope the Lantern readalong goes well. I was supposed to participate if I could get the book on time, but I'm still way back on the hold list and there are very few copies at the library. We'll see if I get it before RIP ends...sigh. I'm looking forward to your thoughts on it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. **softdrink: I really like the cover I have. It is the version the library had, so I browsed by ISBN when I went to buy it. I hope you enjoy!

    **Daphne: Thank you!

    **Suey: Prince of Thrones was really good! I am so glad I bought a copy. Thanks for the birthday wishes!

    **Jamie: Thank you! Prince of Thrones was really good!

    **Ana: Nope, no worries. :) I loved watching Rebecca. I think they did a very good job and wish I had bought the copy I saw last year.

    **Pat: I saw things are getting to you. I really hope they pass, Pat! At my age I wouldn't mind it being a lot more books either, but I have to be prudent. :)

    **Eustacia Tan: I love Skulduggery! I am really enjoying it so far!

    **theliteraryshack: Thank you!

    **Li: Thanks! Prince of Thrones was really quite good!

    **Natalie: That's the cover of Rebecca I had. I bought it because people loved it, but I just couldn't bring myself to read it and decided to try the library instead... I have since passed that copy along to a friend, so I bought this one instead. I look forward to having you join us for The Lantern!

    ReplyDelete
  17. **Vasilly: I finished the Willingham book today and I wound up enjoying it more than I did in the beginning. I had The Lantern out from the library back in September, so I knew it wouldn't happen again in time. That's why I bought it. :) I hope you can join in!

    **Michelle: I loved Rebecca! I am looking forward to The Lantern and the read-along. Thanks for the birthday wishes!

    **Danielle: Thank you! I am very excited about all of my books and think I did well on my gift to myself. :)

    **Amanda: Thanks! I hope you get a chance to read The Lantern. I had originally planned to read it through the library, but bought it because I was helping host the read-along and thought it would be a safer bet.

    ReplyDelete
  18. @Kailana: Ok, thanks(: I'll go find a copy as soon as my exams are over.

    Btw, I really love your blog, I'm having so much fun reading through the archives!

    Oh, um, what's the RIP challenge? I've been seeing it around, but I don't quite get it... Sorry for bother you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. @Kailana: Ok, thanks(: I'll go find a copy as soon as my exams are over.

    Btw, I really love your blog, I'm having so much fun reading through the archives!

    Oh, um, what's the RIP challenge? I've been seeing it around, but I don't quite get it... Sorry for bother you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy birthday!! I really want to read Rebecca, and I'm looking forward to your thoughts on The Lantern.

    ReplyDelete
  21. **Eustacia Tan: I hope you enjoy it!

    Thanks! Sometimes I am scared of my archives because the longer I blog, the less I like how I used to blog. If that makes any sense!

    The R.I.P. Challenge is a challenge hosted at Stainless Steel Droppings where you have fun and read or watch movies that fit into darker categories: dark fantasy, horror, mysteries, etc. The best idea would be to head to the site and browse around there: www.stainlesssteeldroppings.com.

    **Anna: Thanks! I loved Rebecca and am enjoying The Lantern so far. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

I am so sorry, but I turned anonymous commenting off. I have had it from the very beginning, but that is how the spam is getting by my spam filter at the moment. If it is a big deal I will turn it back on and moderate all comments. I also changed moderation from older than 14 days to older than 7.