Friday, January 27, 2012

Tuning in on Thursday - Week 11 and Friday Reads 4th Edition

I simply forgot to update my blog yesterday. I don't even have an excuse! Today is a snow day for the schools but so far there is very little snow. Casey is sitting in the window watching it fall, though. It is one of her favourite activities. She is in her glory as it is because some nice person dug all of her toys out from under the couch.

Tuning in on Thursday - Week 11

This was another quiet viewing week...

Television

BBC Sherlock Holmes Season 1 - I started this show back in December, but I just kept failing to get back to it. In the end I watched the first episode 3 times. I was supposed to review this in more depth with a couple other people, but not sure what is going on now.

Once Upon a Time - We finally caught-up in this show. I am still really enjoying it! We watched 1 episode one night and the other 2 another. I am looking forward to the new episode on Sunday! 

Friday Reads 4th Edition
I finished my other short story collection, so I decided to see what this one was like. I am not even sure where it came from, but it fits in with the Science-Fiction Experience. I have only read the first story so far.
I have owned this book forever! I am happy that I am finally getting around to it. This is for a buddy read with Ana from things mean a lot. I think this is the first time I have ever read any of Kingsolver's non-fiction, but she writes really well.
I cannot remember for sure where I heard of this book, but when it arrived for me at the library the other day I decided to see what it was all about. It is easy to read a bit of it here and there.
Reading this book right now is just silly because I have so much else on the go, but I am actually quite enjoying it. I have been reading it slowly for the first little while. 
I did get a chance to read a  large chunk of this yesterday. I started it at the beginning of the month, but then it was sort of sat down and not picked up again. It is a really good book but there is only so much time in a day and I read too many books at a time.
I did actually read some of this since my last post, but I STILL haven't finished book 1. I am not sure why I am reading this book so slowly. I think the key is not to keep putting it down because then it takes me forever to get back to it. I am enjoying it, but it is not knocking my socks off... I will hopefully get back to it soon.

22 comments:

  1. I can't wait for the next season of Sherlock to start in the states. It's already out in England, but won't be here until May. Not cool BBC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've reminded me that I want to get my hands on THE NEW SPACE OPERA. It's been on my radar for well over a year, since my local NZ library had a copy, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. I'm craving both short fiction and SF right now, so this seems like the perfect time to actually read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is not amazing, but I am enjoying it so far.

      Delete
  3. we are getting caught up on Once Upon a Time, too. curious where they are going with it; though they do have more characters to explore.

    the husband just got into book 2 of 1Q84 and he said it picks up. I've been feeling back about not experience SF like I wanted to for the Sci-Fi Experience, between a reading slump and reading for school this month has sucked it up. so I think short story SF would be a great idea. will check out The New Space Opera.

    ~L

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a bit behind on Once Upon a Time again. I hope to catch-up soon.

      Delete
  4. Holy shit, you and Ana are reading AVM together????? How did I not know this?? You just made my freaking day :D :D :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. :D

    I just passed the 400 page marker (#1Q84) and will devote at least 1 hour more today. Actually, (can I tell you this?, yes I think I will), GreenPeas has just entered into the room with BIG MEAN DUDE and he sounds extremely intimidating! And knowing that there are 500 pages more to this book, I'm assuming this encounter just might go awry but I have NO CLUE which direction it is going!!!!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've had AVM forever it seems but haven't been able to make time for it. Really enjoying OuaT as well! We started to watch Sherlock Holmes but I didn't realize how long it was and fell asleep. Maybe later. :)

    Can't wait to hear your thoughts on AVM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had it forever, too. I am glad I am reading it!

      Delete
  7. I have that Space Opera book too! The first story is interesting and quite strong, I found. I have to review it for Carl's challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked the first story, too, but didn't like the follow-ups as much so far.

      Delete
  8. Sherlock! Let's review it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Sherlock! It was fun reviewing it together. :)

      Delete
  9. I'm still plugging away at 1Q84. It is interesting, but not compelling. I read with interest, but when I put it down, I don't feel any great pull to return to it. I read a good bit last night and plan to spend more time with it today.

    I've enjoyed the Sherlock series on Netflix streaming. I also have the film with Robert Downey in my que. Oh, Sherlock, in his many incarnations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is great that Sherlock still manages to be popular in this day and age.

      Delete
  10. Once Upon a Time is one of the better shows this year. My husband and I are bad about watching it, but I like that we do not miss too much if we miss an episode or two. What's scarier is that even my dad is enjoying it, and he is not a huge fan of fantasy television like that. Good luck with all of your reading! You do have a lot on your plate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the guy would never admit he likes fantasy shows, but he is really enjoying Once Upon a Time.

      Delete
  11. I love this combo of books - such a great variety!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am enjoying them. :)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

I am so sorry, but I turned anonymous commenting off. I have had it from the very beginning, but that is how the spam is getting by my spam filter at the moment. If it is a big deal I will turn it back on and moderate all comments. I also changed moderation from older than 14 days to older than 7.