Wednesday, January 25, 2012

What Are You Listening to Wednesday - Week 10

Debi at still with nothing of importance is doing this project where she had some of her favourite people send her lists of books she should read, movies she should watch, songs she should listen to, etc. Ana, from things mean a lot, sent her a list of songs that I will be working my way through over the coming Wednesdays. The meme itself is hosted at Dolce Bellezza.

Finally, I am back to the list...

The Songs for This Week Are:
The Butcher by Owen Pallet
Rambling Man by Laura Marling
Behold! The Nightmare by The Smashing Pumpkins
Friends as Lovers by Zwan
Waltz #2 by Elliott Smith

'The Butcher' by Owen Pallet
Do you want to know what is really cool about Owen Pallet? He is Canadian and he recorded a CD with the Nova Symphony Orchestra. For those thinking 'um, okay'; I live in Nova Scotia. I had never heard of him or the concert before, but I was intrigued and had to listen to it. As a result the song itself got a bit pushed aside.... This is not my favourite song necessarily, but it is the only video I could find where the music at least is Pallett and the Symphony.




Then, we move on to 'Rambling Man' by Laura Marling. I actually really enjoyed this song and consider it my favourite off the list itself. I am going to explore Laura Marling more.




I had heard The Smashing Pumpkins song before. The only album I ever owned was Adore and this song was on it. I used to like Bill Corgan's voice, but I think I have moved away from it over the years. That is not to say I don't still enjoy his music to a point and I enjoyed 'Behold! The Nightmare' back when I heard it for the first time. Unfortunately I couldn't find a video to share that wasn't terrible, but it was a good song!

Then, there is Zwan. I know a few people that went to see them back when they toured back in the early 2000's. I had forgotten all about them until I got to their song on the list. I did listen to them a bit back when they came out, but they were not a 'go to' band. Still, this is a decent song by them that I hadn't heard in ages and probably never would have thought about without this project. Billy Corgan is a WAY better writer than a musician...




Lastly, we have 'Waltz #2' by Elliott Smith. I did like this song, but between discovering Owen Pallett's Nova Scotia connection, rediscovering The Smashing Pumpkins and Zwan, and really enjoying 'Rambling Man' it sort of fell to the wayside this week. You should still listen to it!


10 comments:

  1. Hahahah, I actually completely disagree about BC. I think his lyrics post-2002 or so are crap :P Anyway, I'm glad to have introduced you to some songs you like :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ah, well, I only know his early stuff. Is Adore not early? I can't remember really... I am glad to find some of this music! I am enjoying the experience overall.

      Delete
  2. I love the idea of personalized listening lists! What a great concept.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the list was made for Debi, but I am 'borrowing' it for myself. I need to listen to more music.

      Delete
  3. I've loved Elliott Smith for years! "Waltz #2" is one of my faves. Beautiful, beautiful sad music that got me through some rough years. I was a huge Smashing Pumpkins fan in the 90s but I never really got into Adore or any of the album after it or Zwan for that matter. Siamese Dream and Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness are classic though!

    The new blog template looks great by the way! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to listen to more Elliott Smith. I liked the song, but I got a bit distracted with other things. :p I can't really call myself a Smashing Pumpkins fan. I just liked a few songs by them here and there. The only CD title I could remember was Adore, but I am sure there were more.

      Thanks!

      Delete
  4. Good - if not interesting taste in music! :)

    And yeah, playlists rule. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Ana is very cultured when it comes to music. I live under a rock...

      Delete
  5. Who recommended Elliott Smith? I first discovered him when Good Will Hunting came out. Fantastic soundtrack. Love his style. My favorite pumpkins album will always be Siamese Dream. Love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ana recommended him. I hardly remember that movie, so I can't really remember the soundtrack. I will have to look into him more. I should refresh my memory on the pumpkins. I never listened to them enough to really remember what CD is what.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

I am so sorry, but I turned anonymous commenting off. I have had it from the very beginning, but that is how the spam is getting by my spam filter at the moment. If it is a big deal I will turn it back on and moderate all comments. I also changed moderation from older than 14 days to older than 7.