Friday, February 03, 2012

Friday Reads - 5th Edition, A Sherlock Holmes Viewing Experience, and a Few Other Things...

Friday Reads 5th Edition
I only read the introduction to this book. I am supposed to read it for a buddy read this month, though, so I really should get around to it soon. I want to finish the Kingsolver first, though.
I didn't really need another short story collection, but this came in for me at the library and I decided to see about finishing it to post about on Valentine's day. It just seemed to be good timing.
I am really enjoying this book, but with all my other 'projects' it keeps getting pushed to the side. When I do read it I spend a bit of time with it, but obviously I need to spend a bit more!
This will probably be on here for the month. I am just reading a story or 2 here and there depending on how much time I have. I think this is going to be my method for the year because I have many short story collections that are unread.
This book continues to be rather interesting. For one thing, I think it is brave for people to share their experiences in such a public format. It also gives you things to think about. I like to say I am pretty open-minded, but there are times where I probably could be more so...
I am about halfway through this book and really enjoying it. I have been brain-storming ways to have even a little garden this year, which I do most years anyway, and I was explaining to the cc yesterday that I would really like to learn how to make cheese.
At the rate I am going this is going it will be 2013 before I finish it. It's my own fault. I never have enough hours in the day for everything that I want to do and I always have too many books on the go!

Watching BBC Sherlock Season 1: A Q & A About the Experience with Suey and Melissa.

Suey's Questions:

-- Favorite thing about this show?
Well, first up I am very happy that Sherlock Holmes is played by someone other than Robert Downey Jr. As much as I enjoy the movie versions he is just not who I had pictured for Holmes. I am a bit torn on the two actors playing Watson, though. They are both very different; but each have their strong points. On a more serious note, my favourite things about the show are the humour, creativity of changing the time period entirely and making it work, and the chemistry between Watson and Holmes. Obviously that ties into the humour over and over again, but what I actually mean is that the two actors work well together.

-- Least favorite thing about the show?
Okay, I am sure there is probably something, but nothing is really coming to mind at the moment.

-- Analyze the characters.
Well, first there is Sherlock. I think that he is played really well. I can picture the character that I have read about easily while watching him on the screen. He might not be a perfect casting choice, but that is the hard part about watching books become movies. I enjoy watching his mind work and his humour even if he is not necessarily trying to be funny. I think it is a good interpretation of how Sherlock works. Then, we have Watson. When I saw him in the very beginning I didn't really think he matched what I had always pictured as a Watson, but as I continued to watch I couldn't help thinking he captures the character very well. He is a perfect companion for Holmes and plays off him very well. I also enjoy that instead of writing their adventures into books he is blogging about it. I am just going to go with the two main characters.

-- How is this one different from other Sherlock shows?
I have to admit that I have only really watched Sherlock the one other time and that was just the Robert Downey Jr and Jude Law movies. I believe that their core the shows are very similar, but the writers also have their own interpretations of how to show it on the screen. Also, this show is actually British with British actors. The movies are not. They do have things like the humour, the connection of Holmes and Watson, etc in common, though.

-- Are you most into the stories? Or the characters? Or the actors?
I think it is a little bit of both. The stories really come together and I enjoy learning both the back stories and watching Holmes get to the bottom of the cases.  Then, I really enjoy both Holmes and Watson. They make the watching experience a lot of fun. And, in order for them to work so well they have to be played by wonderful actors. So, I enjoy all three.

My Questions:

-- Have you ever read the original novels? If so, how do you think the characters compare to those in the books? 
I have read some of the original books, but I haven't finished. I would like to catch-up this year, though. I have read enough to get an idea of the characters, though, and like I said above they might not be exactly as I pictured them, but they still have a lot going for them.

-- Which was your favourite episode of the 3?
I think the very first one was my favourite just because I enjoyed the puzzle of it all. But then, I also enjoyed when Moriarty was introduced through a voice on the phone and Holmes had to solve puzzles to save them all. I really think all three episodes had redeeming qualities that made them all very enjoyable overall.

-- Did you like how the show is set in the present day?
I love it! I think it opens up much more creativity for the show to break away a bit from the 'common' story. It also opens up the door for new technology. In the very first episode when they are having a press conference and Sherlock keeps sending text messages to all of the reporters telling them the police are wrong is priceless. This is not something that would have been possible if they had set it in the past.

-- What do you think of how while Sherlock is thinking words appear on the screen instead of the watcher being left in the dark.
I love this idea! The guy does, too. I like watching how Sherlock comes up with his ideas. The way that he thinks is wonderful. We should all be more observant!

-- What do want to see in the second season?
Well, I am going to be obvious and just say I want to know how the cliff-hanger ending is addressed.

Final Thoughts: This was fun! I don't watch a lot of things as a group, so I was excited to do something a bit different. If you have read my blog with any regularity you will notice that I enjoy buddy reads, so this was the next possible step. I also think we chose a great show to try this with. I look forward to more review with Suey and Melissa in the future, but also to more Sherlock!

Then, I just wanted to inform everyone that there will be the first months wrap-up post on Lu's blog today. Be sure and check it out and make sure you didn't miss anything. The Linky and such for February will be on this blog on the 28th. I hope to see people participate!

Lastly, I know I won't have time to join in for this event, but if anyone needs someone to write to I will happily write back. I also collect postcards... Just saying! (If you need my address just ask.)

21 comments:

  1. Oh, I forgot about the WRONG text messages. That was funny. And I agree about him being funny, but not necessarily realizing that's what he's doing. It's just so crazy! Anyway, fun to read your thoughts. Hopefully we won't have to wait too long before the next shows. Someone said May here in the US.

    Maybe I'll send you both a letter AND a postcard....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good start to the season. :) I am looking forward to the second season.

      Oh, yay, I am looking forward to mail!

      Delete
  2. Gah! Now I really want to start watching the BBC Sherlock Holmes! Just what I need this semester, more things to distract me from my homework. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's only 3 episodes, so not too much of a stretch... :)

      Delete
  3. You always have so many great books all going at one time. The Winter Palace looks great and at some point,I want to read 1Q84.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, probably way too many! The Winter Palace and 1Q84 are being neglected a bit..

      Delete
  4. I'm also about halfway through Kingsolver's book and I love it! I think it's a great follow-up book to The Omnivore's Dilemma and I love the recipes included at the end of each chapter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want to read The Omnivore's Dilemma at some point. I am really enjoying the Kingsolver and look forward to some cooking.

      Delete
  5. I love the Sherlock Holmes series. I think I liked the first episode best because it was so different. It works so well in present day London.
    I think I'd like to read Kingsolver. I hope you will review it.
    I'm not tempted by the Murakami. I have still a few sitting on a pile, before I finish them, this one has to wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was a great idea what they did with it.

      The Kingsolver is a buddy read, so hopefully will have a review soon.

      Delete
  6. I hope you like the Atwood book. I've been really curious about that one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really need to find some time to dive into it a bit more...

      Delete
  7. Wow! It looks like you are reading a bunch of good books :) I've wanted to read Animal, Vegetable, Miracle for some time now, and I can't wait to hear your thoughts on 1Q84. Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have owned Animal, Vegetable, Miracle forever. I am really happy I am finally reading it. :)

      Delete
  8. Great Sherlock recap! I loved the text messaging and the blogging aspects - I forgot about those. Can't wait for the next season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait until the next season either.

      Delete
  9. All your books look interesting! Glad to hear that the Kingsolver book is working out. She's a great nonfiction writer. I'm participating in A Month of Letters. I would love to have your address.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Kingsolver is really good. I am looking forward to more non-fiction from her in the future.

      Delete
  10. Sherlock Holmes is great, isn't it? I love how it's redone to today, and how the writers use technology to show how brilliant and far ahead of everyone Sherlock is - I see that as exactly how Sherlock Holmes would be, if he lived today. And how ACD would write him.

    I agree with everything you said about the show! the acting, the relationship between Holmes and Watson, the writing, the wit, it's all there, snazzy, and even with all that, there is realization of crimes, of lives lost (though Watson is at pains to remind HOlmes that people are suffering, this works too), I just think it's really superb tv. I'm so glad you enjoyed it too!'

    Now as to those books - lovely mix there!! Quite a varied week for you in terms of reading. do you read from each, each day, or pick up as you feel like it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think it is wonderfully done!

      I tend to pick them up as I feel, but sometimes I do read from all of them in one day.

      Delete
  11. BBC Sherlock is a classic. Great acting, superb music and clever scripts make this a must watch for everyone :)

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

I am so sorry, but I turned anonymous commenting off. I have had it from the very beginning, but that is how the spam is getting by my spam filter at the moment. If it is a big deal I will turn it back on and moderate all comments. I also changed moderation from older than 14 days to older than 7.