Monday, June 04, 2012

Armchair BEA - Introductions


I don't think I have joined in for Armchair BEA before, but I thought I would do something different this year. I like that this year it is all about community. When I first started blogging there were a lot less bloggers. The term book blogger was not even necessarily used. Nowadays it is huge and a bit overwhelming keeping track of everything. I find that people are more likely to come together as a community when they get up in arms about a scandal than any other time.

1. Please tell us a little bit about yourself: Who are you? How long have you been blogging? Why did you get into blogging?
Well, I go by Kailana around the blogging world, but my real name is Kelly. I live with the guy (aka the charming comedian) in Nova Scotia, Canada. We also have a cat named Casey that we adopted late last year. I am recently obsessed with using my camera more and have launched a project attempting to get a postcard from every province in Canada (and territory) and every state in the US. In December I will be blogging for 7 years. The first few posts were horrendous, though, so I would like to mostly forget they exist. And, technically I do because I often forget to even blog on my blogiversary. I got into blogging because I was friends with Marg from Adventures of an Intrepid Reader on other sites and she started blogging in November. She suggested I start one, too, so I did a few weeks later.

2. What are you currently reading, or what is your favorite book you have read so far in 2012?
I am currently catching up in the Bess Crawford series by Charles Todd. My favourite reads of the year so far are A Fault in the Stars by John Green, Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein, and Shadows Walking by Douglas Skopp (which I had planned to review today and then did this post instead. oops!).

3. Tell us one non-book-related thing that everyone reading your blog may not know about you.
I originally went to university to be an astronomer, but got talked out of it. This hobby is another in a long list of things I never make time for any more.

9. What is your favorite part about the book blogging community? Is there anything that you would like to see change in the coming years?
My favourite part is easily the friendship. There are times where I consider throwing in the towel, but then I start thinking about all the people that don't blog any more and how I never hear from them. This makes me worry that I will lose track of all my blogging friends if I stop blogging.

10. Have your reading tastes changed since you started blogging? How?
Yes, definitely. I used to primarily buy fantasy novels or books by Canadian authors. Nowadays I am horrendous at reading both of those things because there is so much else going on. I never read young adult, but I will now. And, I have gotten back into non-fiction. Some years I do better than others, but if you looked at my shelves you would think I love non-fiction. And, well, I do, but I never seem to actually read them.

30 comments:

  1. You are so right--I miss the people who have stopped blogging, because I never hear from them any other way. It's sad. Maybe we should talk it up so someone who likes organizing could make some kind of directory for "where are they now?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you decided to join the fun! I probably won't do all of the daily prompts but it's fun to get to know even familiar bloggers better. I didn't know about the astronomy!! So cool.

    Hope you have a wonderful day my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:20 PM

    Studying astronomy would have been cool. Does that make you qualified to be an astronaut??

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the friendships, too, Kailana, such as yours. I visit all these blogs on a day like today, which is a lovely thing to do, but ultimately? There's no place like home...which I established in 2006 when I met the likes of you. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. p.s. If you want to send a card to Illinois in the US, and haven't yet, I'd be glad to give you my address. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is my first time joining in on Armchair BEA too :)

    So excited that Code Name Verity is one of your favorite reads this year because I am just starting that book!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had no idea Marg got you started blogging! Cool! She's awesome.

    Can't remember if I've joined in on Armchair BEA, before. Weird, eh? Glad you decided to. I was actually signed up to be a commenter and then decided to quit blogging so I backed out. I've meant to write to you - I probably told you about thinking about quitting, a couple times. Anyway, I was all set to write my goodbye post and then . . . I couldn't. I just could not bear leaving. Hubby and I had a big old chat and he said, "You know, blogging has been good to you." He talked about the friendships, the get-togethers with blog friends, the emails with bloggers I've become close to. That was enough to convince me I couldn't do without it and I'm sticking around. I may make some changes, but quitting is now out of the picture for good.

    Astronomy is so cool!!!! I took astronomy as one of my science courses in college. Husband and I (we weren't married, but we were dating) went out to look through the telescopes at 2 in the morning whenever required. That's one of my best college memories. We had such fun dragging each other to class activities like that.

    I'm having a ridiculous couple of weeks, here, but I promise I'll try to get an email written as soon as I can. And, your postcard should finally go in the mail, tomorrow!!! Happy Armchair BEA, Kelly!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you don't quit Nancy! I love your blog so I hope that you find the balance that makes it still work for you!

      Delete
  8. How long have we known each other now Kelly? I am thinking maybe 8 or 9 years. In all that time I never knew you went to uni to study astrology!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm pretty sure I stick with the blogging for the friendships too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha, you'd think the same about me and all the non-fiction on my shelves!

    And like Marg, I didn't know that about you and astronomy! Whoa.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi. I think its sad you've given up so many hobbies, but typical. Love your photography goal, I'm into that myself. NS is a beautiful province, I was there several years ago on vacation. Always a bonus to find other Canadians.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeeeey Canadian blogger!! :) :) I know from experience that Canadian bloggers are so cool and nice :) :) I love The Fault in Our Stars so much too!! :) And WOW 7 years!! Freaking awesome!! :) :) See you around this week! And enjoy!! :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had no idea that you went to school to become an astronomer! That's so awesome. I often forget to blog on my blogiversary too. It's so easy to forget. Looking at your last photography post, makes me want to give it a try. Kelly, I'm so glad you're a blogger and I know you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been loving your photos on Pinterest. You've got a good eye. I keep thinking I should start doing that. I did not know you were into astronomy. I learn something new everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ooo, someone says you've got great pins on Pinterest? I'm running there!!! If you need any postcards from Michigan or Ohio, let me know and I'll send them. Unless you plan on getting the postcards by driving here... that would be a cool idea!!

    thanks for stopping by my blog and saying HI!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Always wonderful to meet a fellow cat lover! I love your blog - the background is so nice!

    Have a great Armchair BEA!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your blog and your answers! Hope you have fun during Armchair BEA!

    Debz @ Debz Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's sad that you've lost touch with blogger friends. Send them a note and they will have to respond to your awesomeness!

    ReplyDelete
  19. An astronomer...interesting. So what did you attend school for?
    I am right there with you...whenever I am tempted to stop blogging, I think if the friendships I formed - I would miss them so I keep plugging away.

    ReplyDelete
  20. An astronomer? That's super cool!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I hope you didn't give up on fantasy books completely! I'd be happy to supply you with recommendations if you are looking for something good. I've heard good things about A Fault in the Stars and I hope to read it myself soon.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Astronomy sounds so interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anonymous8:21 AM

    Fantasy is one of my favorite genres even though I forget about it for long periods sometimes. Right now, I have a lot of fantasy I want to read and several series I plan to start or have already started. Happy BEAing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. You wanted to be an astronomer? That's awesome! This is my first Armchair BEA too.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Anonymous3:27 PM

    It's really rare that I meet someone who has been blogging longer than I have...refreshing in fact! Thanks for visiting me at Stiletto Storytime...we seem to have some reading interests in common and it's always a joy to be introduced to a new blogger and blog! Have a great first Armchair BEA and I look forward to "seeing" you around.

    Courtney
    Stiletto Storytime

    ReplyDelete
  26. My name is also Kelly and I also live in NS... o.O It's not very often I run across another Canadian blogger, let alone another Maritimer!

    I would have loved to be an astronomer; I never thought about going to school for it, but it was a hobby I loved as a child.

    Kelly
    Radiant Shadows

    ReplyDelete
  27. I think I would lose track of a lot of blog friends if I stopped. There are a lot who I don't initiate a conversation with, but will have a lengthy one via email after a post comment, like you!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Isn't it interesting to see how our genre choices change over time? :)

    PS your blog is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I had no idea that Marg encouraged you to start a blog - it is lovely how bloggers encourage each other. I also miss people who've stopped blogging. Their name in my google reader makes me sad. I wish there was a way to keep in touch with them.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

I am so sorry, but I turned anonymous commenting off. I have had it from the very beginning, but that is how the spam is getting by my spam filter at the moment. If it is a big deal I will turn it back on and moderate all comments. I also changed moderation from older than 14 days to older than 7.